Water Drops

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i need some advice on how to get the best images from my 100mm L Macro...
I have had several attempts of doing Splash Art but had no luck...
I've seem peoples crystal clear images and wonder how to achieve this?

Here are some of my images which i've done!

Edit: I am not using an external flash due to being too poor :( haha

$Drop-2.jpg
$Drop-1.jpg
$Drop-3.jpg
View attachment 46333

It's really quite simple, the images are not sharp because there is motion blur.
These drops are going really fast... In fact they're going so fast that even a shutter speed of 1/8000 is not going to completely freeze that drop.
The only way to really do this correctly is to use a flash.

Now in the other images you did use a flash, however this did not help...
I know, I just told you to use a flash, but there's an extra note: You can't use HSS (high speed sync).
You're using a flash at shutter speeds above 1/250 which means you're using HSS. This will not help however as HSS will not freeze motion.
Instead of freezing motion with a single light burst HSS will light the entire frame during the shutter movement using a burst of less intense light flashes.
You won't see these individual bursts as there are a few ten-thousands per second but basically it means that you will still get the entire movement of the drop so it is still blurred. (For more information see this in-depth discussion started recently: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/328762-water-drop-hss.html)

Long story short: You'll need a normal flash burst.
The shutter speed doesn't matter really much, just set it to 1/200 or 1/250 and stop down so you won't get any ambient light. Then just light the whole seen with one or more flashes set to normal burst. You can try this with your on-camera flash too, I think it will start acting normal at 1/250 or slower.

Most reactions

Back