Water Restrictions

Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just watched an artical on the news about people whinging how they can't water their gardens and I was wondering who else in the world has water restrictions?

Practically everywhere in Australia has water restrictions at the moment as we head into summer... coz we've used up all the water we captured from last summer (or our rainy season).

So restrictions vary from town to town, but at the moment they mainly only encompass hours that you're allowed to use a sprinkler:
sprinkler%20image%20real%20thing%20copy.jpg

I put the photo in, just incase you guys call it something else.
When it gets more serious they say you can't wash your car with a hose... or more serious is when you can't wash it at all. We have sprinkler patrols that drive around and hunt people down who do the wrong things.

But what annoys me is that people have a need to water their gardens.
We live in a desert here in Australia, although sometimes people forget it. We don't get enough rain. Our dams are at 30% all over the place. and yet people still have a need to water their gardens.... their grass. What's the point? It's just a garden. No one cares about it... seriously. It seems like such a waste of such a precious resource. :grumpy:

Don't people realise what will happen if we run out of water?

*rant over*
sorry if you're an avid gardener and I've offended you

In the UK we have hose pipe / sprinkler bans all the time. However, you can use a bucket instead. We don't have many deserts though.

AFAIK commercial car washing hasn't ever been affected.

Rob

Here you're still allowed to go to a car wash... like a commercial one at a service station or a proper business for it... because they use a lot less water than you could do it at home for.

The Chichester dam that supplies our water is 95% full so for the time being we don't have much in the way of restrictions but here at home we've fitted a few water-saving devices, namely showerheads and our appliances such as the washing machine and dishwasher are water-saving units. :)

Sydney has super-tight water restrictions at the moment! :shock:

in the usa we also call them sprinklers.
but were are heading into winter.
we usually read articles instead of watching them ;)
and we call it whining here instead of whinging :D

I'm with you, Vicky, in so far as people have to acknowledge where they live, and if it should happen to be a part of this world where there isn't so much water, then this is a fact that should not be circumvented by using up the world's resources of this precious material for their cars or lawns.

We happen to be living in an area with a surplus of water for most of the time, since my place is in the middle of what used to be swamp, and our area needs to be permanently drained, so I can easily speak in this manner... so maybe I should just as well shut up...

In the US most of the water restrictions are in the West part of the country. A lot of it in California where irrigation is the only thing between grass and sand. Occasionally we have light restrictions in the SouthEast but they are usually to the tune of officials begging people to not water their lawns or wash their cars instead of imposing actual penalties.

in the usa we also call them sprinklers.
finally a word we both understand... sprinklers!

we usually read articles instead of watching them
wow... you can read the tv? you must be really clever.
and we call it whining here instead of whinging
whining here means something different to whinging. Here you can whinge but you're not necessarily whining. But if you're whining you're always whinging about something.

In the US besides the restrictions placed due to regional shortages, the government has mandated flow restrictions on shower heads, water facets and tank size restrictions on toilets. Soon, a new law mandating cloths washing machines with much smaller total water usage limits will take effect. Seems the government gets into everything.

Yeah that was one of the things that amazed me in France! Everyone has these amazing water saving (read: piss weak water pressure) shower heads and taps... supossedly to save water. In Aus we've got these firehose-like things gushing the water out!

The only time there are restrictions here in South Texas are when there hasn't been any rain for a few months. Then people have more to worry about then their plants/grass... :lol:

Arizona had always had water problems. Not much water running through our state so we have to take it from the Colorado river.

Several years ago we had some legislation come through with a law that does not allow new houses (being constructed) having a front lawn anymore.

However, there's one problem that just eats at me... Golf courses! We have soooo many friggin' courses in Phoenix! Really! There are more golf courses than McDonald's restaurants in our city!! Why?? I don't really know.

Phoenix is anticipated to have over 5 million people by 2015, yet no improvements are made when it comes to water resources. Phoenix is not the only major city in AZ that needs lots of water, there is Tucson as well, drawing from the same sources.

Oh well... I do what I can to keep the water usage low, my backyard is a xeriscape with very low water needs. I wish more people do that here.

Water restrictions will become a global issue in heavily populated areas. Some years won't be as bad as others depending upon regional weather.

There are already "water wars" in the SE USA, a few states fighting over the rights to rivers and such. We suffered several years of severe drought; the last few years have eased up but the battles will continue.

Even this past summer, when people's vegetable gardens were dying out from too much rain, we were reminded to conserve water and used an odd/even day for watering, according to street address. The powers that be want folks to get used to the idea of conservation. ;)

Golf courses will always be taken care of. Sadly they have become confused with the term "green space". :roll:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back