Waterfall - Am I on to something or is this generic?

jbaseball2001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This summer I decided to teach myself landscape photography and figured that waterfalls were a good place to start. I am in need of some constructive critique of my efforts.

Please understand that I fully appreciate a blunt and honest review...I am need of your help if I am to improve. So please do not hold back you comments to make me feel better...My wife does a decent job of saying "oh that picture looks pretty"... :)

Specifically I am after the following feedback, though I do appreciate all thoughts:

1) Composition: What elements of this photo distracts or devalues?
2) Exposure: Over, under, acceptable?
3) Ultimately I am trying to get from, "gee look a waterfall" to "wow, you took that"! I am never going to make money from my photos, but I do wonder if I might enter a shot one day into a contest...what do I need to do to push these to the next level?

Thank you so much for your time and comments.

waterfall-2.jpg

Nikon D80, 18-55, 1/2 sec, f/20, ISO 200

The more I look at it the more I like it actually. Beautiful location, the moss giving a lack of much color variation is nice. I'd be curious to see what it would look like at f/16 cause the mossy/tree parts are a touch dark but that puts focus on the water so definitely not under-exposed to my eyes. Looks good enough to frame to me, keep it up!

I love it! The moss seems to be strangely colored, but very beautiful.

I'd say everything but the waterfall is underexposed.

Nice composition, but way to dark.

I like that the trees all lay in the direction of the water flow. In addition to the shadows lacking any detail, I've also read from different pro landscapers that you shouldn't allow the water to be seen flowing out of the frame as it allows the eye to escape. It's better to place a calm (therefore darker) pool of water on the edge, or even use a part of the foliage or ground to frame the water.

Thank you to everyone for your feedback.

I am going to try and lighten up the photo a bit and see if that helps it....also thanks for the advice on "anchoring" the water more in the image rather than having it flow out...

I am also going to post one more waterfall photo from the same day, different spot. (on a new thread)

I think the hardest time I am having is making a waterfall photo not look like a cliche' shot. But thats the trick to all of photography isn't it?!

Thanks again for you help....anyone else have advice to offer?

I dunno, doesnt smack me as wow. I like the logs following direction of the water for a leading line, but they are a large portion of the picture and lead my eye out of the frame (along with the water). I would bump the exposure and perhaps get closer to one of the logs for leading line. But then it would be more of a traditional foreground - mid - background style waterfall comp, so perhaps not what your looking for. With a location like this though and all that lovely moss I know there must be a dozen killer comps lurking around. Just keep shooting!

Thanks Space for your feedback...I am sure that there are several shots at that spot that I missed...I am going out next week, hopefully to the same location...

Here is an updated version of the shot, increased exposure in lightroom for everything but the water...

Does this help the image?

waterfall-5.jpg

Thank you to all...feedback is still appreciated!

Is it tilted to the right? The water doesn't seem to be falling straight down.

it is and for this kind of scene it's a little "busy" but a good shot none the less.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back