Waterfall In High Def

Increasing detail in an image does not change the resolution.

Never said it did , I said it "sharpened and brought out the details in the shadows"

high definition or HD for short
noun -a high degree of detail in an image or screen.

And could also be -
Hard Density
Heavy Duty
Heart Disease
Home Depot
High Demand
Happy Day
High Durability
High Distinction
Hall Director
Horse Dander
.............................................................and Horse Dung, which is where this is going. I find the Grammar Nazi approach to criticism a boring distraction, and don't intend on continuing to discuss it further, but welcome any valid suggestions you might have on the technique I presented in the OP or other techniques you might want to share.

high definition or HD for short
noun -a high degree of detail in an image or screen.

From the article I linked to
High definition (or HD) commonly refers to an increase in display or visual resolution over a previously used standard.

And could also be -

Except the title specifically says "High Def"

detail does not mean high def

Yeah the shadows were clipped already in the original, thought I'd recovered but the process has a tendency to accentuate the shadows, so really deep ones, get clipped even more. Though on my monitor, they aren't as clipped as they appear in the JPEG conversion, and on Flickr. Something to remember when I use this again. It's not an HDR, or composite. It's one image, with a detail group of two layers in PS, set to "Overlay". The first layer of the group is inverted, changed to "vivid light", converted for smart filter and a surface blur applied. No other sharpening has been applied. Opacity adjusted for effect. It's another way to bring out the details without the processed look of HDR, in a fraction of the time.

Doesn't overlay make darks darker? Do correct me if I'm wrong :)

Why not use Shadows slider in ACR? If the image becomes washed out, just increase the overall contrast a bit to fix it.

Doesn't overlay make darks darker? Do correct me if I'm wrong :)

Why not use Shadows slider in ACR? If the image becomes washed out, just increase the overall contrast a bit to fix it.

Unlike changes in ACR this is a non destructive method. Overlay mode is part of the contrast modes, that will multiply the darker areas, screen the lighter areas and cause anything at 50% gray to disappear. The other neat thing about the mode is that unlike slider changes, the Overlay mode shows favoritism to the layer below it. Assigning the Overlay mode to the group, means that changes to layers within that group will be selectively applied to the layers below with favoritism being given to the underlying areas.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back