Waterfall (your opinion)

David_low

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
david-low.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been to Jiuzhaigou National Park (China) which is a UNESCO heritage. There are so many waterfalls and here just 2 of them I like to share.

1086626437_EZ4D4-O.jpg

1086626918_nvcjB-O.jpg

Could I ask which one you prefer?

neither really do it for me but if had to pick I would go with #1

Seeing this all zoomed in is a tease, I feel like there is a much more going on in this scene then I am being allowed to see. It gives no sense of being there and witnessing what you saw.

just my .02

neither really do it for me but if had to pick I would go with #1

Seeing this all zoomed in is a tease, I feel like there is a much more going on in this scene then I am being allowed to see. It gives no sense of being there and witnessing what you saw.

just my .02

I know what you talking about. A typical waterfall would have shown the overall view with silky smooth flowing water taken in a slow shutter speed.

I have taken so many, you can see it here.
Jiuzhaigou / Huanglong (China) - david-low's Photos | SmugMug

The above photo was taken with some purpose in mind.To me, photography is as much about what you exclude as what you include. So instead of trying to show the whole scene, I concentrate on the just the min. Sometimes, "less is more" and that is my expression for these 2 photos.

I also pick the simple composition of #1. The small branch being out of focus is a bit distracting. I don't mind not seeing the whole scene with this composition.

In #2, the busyness of the water together with the small tree and stream to the left leading my eye out of the frame makes me feel a bit chaotic. It makes me want to "back up."

It's interesting that there is a threshold of simplicity. Once you include "enough" people want to see more. Simple composition is like putting on blinders.

I also pick the simple composition of #1. The small branch being out of focus is a bit distracting. I don't mind not seeing the whole scene with this composition.

In #2, the busyness of the water together with the small tree and stream to the left leading my eye out of the frame makes me feel a bit chaotic. It makes me want to "back up."

It's interesting that there is a threshold of simplicity. Once you include "enough" people want to see more. Simple composition is like putting on blinders.

Thank you for your interesting thought.

I liked very much your creative interpretation...actually a photographer must venture into being unconventional and these images are very much so... i liked the first one more, but wanted those leaves either full sharp, or artisitically blurred; but it stands some where in beween

and i liked the art in the statement: "Photography is as much about what you exclude as what you include, which you can add to your signature

Regards :)

I liked very much your creative interpretation...actually a photographer must venture into being unconventional and these images are very much so... i liked the first one more, but wanted those leaves either full sharp, or artisitically blurred; but it stands some where in beween

and i liked the art in the statement: "Photography is as much about what you exclude as what you include, which you can add to your signature

Regards :)

Thank you for your input.

I think both of them would benefit from a longer exposure. Honestly neither of them really do anything for me but if i had to pic i would pick #2.

Most reactions

Back