Waterfalls:)

What ISO did you use? Seems like there's a lot of noise in the background. And yeah the house is very distracting. #2 is cool.

Yeahh, I wouldn't have used the flash if i had the tripod with me.

In the first picture the house is distracting, but you could soften that a bit. Love the second picture!!!

It'd be hard to mention anything that hasn't already been said, but here's my take.

First off, I think you're definitely moving in the right direction with your compositions. Sure, the house is distracting... but it's easy enough to move around until you find a different angle that doesn't include a house. As far as addressing the subject (the waterfalls/cascades), you're doing a pretty good job.

I see that your shutter-speeds here were 1/13th sec and 1/4sec. Those are pretty slow shutter speeds, and a 1/4-second exposure might work great with a raging whitewater river. On brooks and smaller rivers, though, you'd probably benefit by lengthening to at least 1 second (more, if possible). A tripod would obviously be ideal, but you could just as well prop the camera on a stone, a stump, or a backpack and just ensure that it's steady. Use self-timer to get it to fire, which will avoid jarring the camera body by manually depressing the shutter.

The flash didn't work out so well in these shots, as many have already mentioned. IMO, the flash did the most damage in Shot #2, where you can see "flash burn" in the reflective rock surface. I would either:

A) abandon flash altogether (preferable IMO), or

B) stop down to f/8 or f/11 and greatly decrease flash intensity. This will add a tad bit of fill light without brightening the foreground so much that the shot looks unnatural. I'm not sure if your PowerShot lets you choose apertures or flash power, though... or what range of apertures it permits... so I suppose you'll have to experiment.

Also, I see that you were using ISO 400 in both shots. You can increase your IQ and lengthen your shutter speeds if you drop down to ISO 200 or ISO 100.

Most reactions

Back