Waterlilly

I remember this shot, I looked at in July and thought to myself, "My God, this is a joke...but I'll look at it again sometime and see if my opinion has changed."
People, my opinion has changed. I find myself now liking this shot, in fact, loving it. There's something about this shot, it's got this attitude about it, this "Yeah, what are you gonna do about it?" attitude. I'm not sure if anyone else felt those rebellious or chaotic emotions emitted from this shot, but that's exactly what I pick up from, and love about this shot, chaos. The colors are mashing together, yet still transitioning. The composition is a mixture of things, nothing really geometric or symmetric about it. This shot, to me, represents a bit of order in a lot of chaos. I hated this shot five months ago, and now I can't stop looking at it. I think this thread deserves revival, and people should think about their prior comments, and see if they can't pull something better out of the shot than they did this summer.

Of the comments I made, I'll stick with this one;
Interesting- thought provoking. OTE?

I still don't get it, but that's no big deal. Maybe because I don't understand it? I think that happens to others on quite a few of my shots, but I'm comfortable with -most- of my work. And if Max likes his shot, then that's fine by me despite my lack of understanding it. I still respect his opinions and criticism. I do find the shot "thought provoking." I have "thought" about it several times in the last few months and I find that "interesting."

I would have to say if the lily was just a little more prominent in the picture I would hang it on my wall, as it is I see it as a missed opportunity.

when i first looked at it i didn't like it...then i looked again..its definately a picture you have to come back to because of the reflections...i like it

I think max is trying to make a point and I get it. We might not agree all the time Max, but I gotcha.

People, my opinion has changed. I find myself now liking this shot, in fact, loving it. There's something about this shot, it's got this attitude about it, this "Yeah, what are you gonna do about it?" attitude. I'm not sure if anyone else felt those rebellious or chaotic emotions emitted from this shot, but that's exactly what I pick up from, and love about this shot, chaos. The colors are mashing together, yet still transitioning. The composition is a mixture of things, nothing really geometric or symmetric about it. This shot, to me, represents a bit of order in a lot of chaos. I hated this shot five months ago, and now I can't stop looking at it. I think this thread deserves revival, and people should think about their prior comments, and see if they can't pull something better out of the shot than they did this summer.

Whatever you are using, you need to pass around and share the joy.

The emperor is buck naked and most of the crowd won't say it.

JD

Whatever you are using, you need to pass around and share the joy.

The emperor is buck naked and most of the crowd won't say it.

JD

It's the drug of perception, and it's free. You can get it too. It's amazing how beautiful the world looks when you aren't looking for its beauty.

Perhaps I should give an "artistic" explanation of the shot. Coming back to it, I like it much better than when I originally shot it. Would make for a great Ciba.

Anyway, it's not a very complicated shot. There's something beautiful hiding under the surface, concealed by its environment, yet still the focal point.

I managed to locate some of the original scans. As noted in the first post, the color shots are Portra 160VC. The black and whites are PanF. There are more, I think, but I didn't scan them. And don't tell me I should have gone with the second black and white shot. It's just a lilly in a pond.

lilly1au7.jpg

lilly2qb5.jpg

lilly3uj5.jpg

Most reactions

Back