Watermark or copyright in corner?

adamsfour

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When you put photos out on the internet that can be saved via the right click, do you put a watermark across the whole photo or do you just put your name and copyright in the bottom corner?

If you could make it unable to not click your photographs, i would do it, i normally just watermark my name in the bottom center.

If you don't want others using your image, watermark your image. Sure, you can disable "right click and save", however, anyone who is familiar with the print screen button on their keyboard can easily "copy and paste" their whole screen to their clip board, and take anything they want off it.

I wish there was a way to embed the watermark but have it flash @ say a 5 sec. interval that way the image could be viewed w/out the watermark but not copied w/out the watermark.

have a good one
3Eo

I personally watermark everything i post on the internet at this point, i put it across the entire picture, but try to do it as un-intrusive as possible to the image, by changing the opacity level to like 50% in photoshop on the text layer.

The reason I do not put it just in the corner, is because it can very easily be cropped out.

Unfortunately if you do not want others using your pictures, you have to do this :(

I find that disabling right clicking is a complete waste of time. Your computer caches all the pictures on any website you visit so technically someone doesn't even need to right-click to save a picture when your computer does it automatically.

As far as watermarking goes, I just stick mine as inconspicuously as possible in the corner of the picture when I do use one. Images used on most internet sites (unless you upload full res. to like flickr or something) are too small to get good prints anyways which in my mind is what I am trying to prevent people from doing.

But the watermark does help if someone wants to use a picture of mine on their website for whatever reason without my permission.

Hey thanks for that link, just what i needed!

I sign the bottom right. Mainly because I post my photos on the internet for others to see. There's nothing more irritating than someone posting a photo in the critique section with a watermark on it. All you see is the watermark there's no way around it.

Unfortunately this is a catch 22. If your income depends on your online gallery then watermarking may be a good idea. But for me if someone is petty enough to download one of my photos and crop my name out then by all means may god strike him down by dropping a 1200mm lens on him from a high altitude, but I will not lose sleep over it.

Garbz, I totally agree. It's up to everyone to choose between strong and efficient watermarking which makes the picture nearly impossible to enjoy or no watermarking but nice looking pictures.

I tried to choose something in between, with a signature in a corner and a very light watermark on 3 other corners. Like this or that. I also added a link to a home-made and very naive license. But maybe less naive than disabling right-click...
I know it's really easy to crop or vanish, but as said WDodd, resolution is low for good prints, even lower after cropping ;). My best protection: I do pictures nobody wants to copy. :lol:

Maybe, if it was my first income, I would do another way.

PS: Please pm me if there are English mistakes in my so called copyright.

just to confirm: every image which can be displayed on the screen, can be saved to the local harddrive in the resolution it is displayed fairly simple.

all this java or flash play does not change a thing.

After seeing everyone elses excellent photos, makes me seem petty for wanting to actually protect my sad little attempts at photography.. haha

BUT, when I get better, I know how to protect the ones I don't want copied.

Thanks everyone for the help!

If you know what your doing, you can steal any image off the internet if you want.
there are various methods, and there are also various methods of trying to protect your images.

The thing is though, its very easy to say how they can be stolen IF you know how.
Granted, people are becoming more and more "in the know" when it comes to the internet these days, but generally, people still havent got a clue.

On my website, iv started putting a small name in the corner, more advertising rather thn protection. even though it can be cropped off, most people cant be bothered, or dont know how.

I also disabled right click, but again, easy way round that IF you know how.

I also use low resolution images which will make for really bad prints if a person goes to all the effort of
searching through their temp internet files
cropping out the watermark

before trying to print them off.

Oh forgot to mention the disabling of right click breaks compatibility with firefox's tabs. Centre click now brings up the warning message if there is one even when i'm just trying to look at 2 gallerys at once. That is just a down right pain and I usually give up surfing the website at that point.

Most reactions

Back