Watermarking Pictures

I did some research and I think with the technology we have the only way to fully protect an original image is to crop it and reduce the resolution. These 2 cannot be undone (I think!..).
I found the below video which shows how to undo a text (even when the text is not on a separate layer!!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is important to protect your copyright, and it becomes more and more important every day.
Internet image theft is rampant.
If someone removes your watermark/copyright statement/CMI, that helps to demonstrate 'intent'.
(CMI = Copyright Management Information) Copyright Office Releases Report on Copyright Small Claims | Photo Attorney

Five Things You Can Do to Protect Your Online Images | Photo Attorney
Registering Your Copyrights Using the eCO System | NatureScapes.Net ? The Resource for Nature Photographers
Help! I?ve Been Infringed! | Photo Attorney
https://nppa.org/page/5617

Images can indeed have the resolution restored.
Cropping and re-sizing are 2 different actions.
Cropping entails cutting pixels off the image.

Resizing preserves all the pixels, but makes each pixel smaller.

Reducing the file size (increasing the image compression) can also make it difficult to use a stolen image.
Changing the file size does not change the pixel size.

Last edited:
After reading your reply, I changed my mind about adding a transparent text. Because you are right about undoing it. If the text is transparent, I think it can be removed. But the way I do it, the added text is replacing the image that was there and I think it would be more challenging to undo it. I still wouldn't dare anyone to try it though...

?????? If the image has been flattened (ie jpeg) then there is no difference - at least not in the way you are suggesting.

Most reactions

Back