Watermarks

InTheViewFinder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you think about watermarks?

What about em? The ones w/ the photogs name on em or other "Haha - you can't edit this now" type marks -

Eh. If someone's THAT committed to ripping someones work off - theyll get around a few silly watermarks.

The ones with the names.

Like do you think they should be big, small, full name, initials, etc. Just any thought on them really.

Personally I would never use one. They seem distracting. More importantly I would fill out the copyright info on each image.

Love & Bass

Fill out the copyright info? How do you do that or what is that. I mean I know what copyright is, but where would you fill out info?

Fill out the copyright info? How do you do that or what is that. I mean I know what copyright is, but where would you fill out info?

I believe that he is talking about in the photo's metadata tags. I know that is where I do it.

You can edit any document. Right-click, properties.

And indeed, the name ones are just annoying and majorly distract - especially when the photographer even tries to make the watermark "artistic". Bah.

Oh thank you all!

I've seen some watermarks go across the middle of a photograph and it just takes away from it.

Many people do this to stop others stealing their pictures. The reality is though the resolutions we post here (even if it's as wide as the screen) will rarely make an acceptable print even a small 6x4. I put my name in the bottom right of my images, visible but clearly out of the way and non-distracting from the main image.

Many people do this to stop others stealing their pictures. The reality is though the resolutions we post here (even if it's as wide as the screen) will rarely make an acceptable print even a small 6x4. I put my name in the bottom right of my images, visible but clearly out of the way and non-distracting from the main image.

I put my initials at the bottom of my pictures which you can see, but it's clear out of the way as well. I wonder if initials are enough though umm? Don't you have to pay for something to get copyrighted?

:|

I could deter anyone with my initials as a watermark: BS

Anyways, back on topic. For images with more sensitive material, for instance children, I generally try to remember to slap up a watermark, I have heard too many times of these images being taken and posted otherwise, whether due to ignorance or with other intentions.

I could deter anyone with my initials as a watermark: BS

Anyways, back on topic. For images with more sensitive material, for instance children, I generally try to remember to slap up a watermark, I have heard too many times of these images being taken and posted otherwise, whether due to ignorance or with other intentions.

Very true.

I use watermarks on my commercial web site for primarily one reason- to irritate the (IMO) mindless, lazy, jackasses in forums that link to my photos and use my bandwidth without permission or give me a reference link to my site.

I've found that using a watermark with a nice sized, hefty-bold (c)Etc. and Website.com deters the pests nicely while not detracting from the documentary nature of the shots I put online commercially.

Sound bitter?- I've probably 20,000 photos I've posted over the last 12 years and sneaks can be a nuisance.

As mentioned, it doesn't stop anything entirely and as far as someone editing and reposting from their own server, well, there's always going to be thieves.

As mentioned, it doesn't stop anything entirely and as far as someone editing and reposting from their own server, well, there's always going to be thieves.

Yea that is very true.

Most reactions

Back