waterproof cases

erih

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am planning a month-long trip to SE Asia, at least a significant part of which will be on a boat in Halong Bay. My hubby said I couldn't bring the digital SLR. I laughed and said, well that's not an option, but I'll look into waterproof cases.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations?

I've seen soft ones you can shoot through as well as the hard case-type ones. I'd love any info. Thanks!

Are you talking about an underwater housing or simply a waterproof carrying case? Underwater housings are camera specific and get pricey, a waterproof carrying case can be had for under $100 (depending on the size you need) look for either Pelican or Underwater Kinetics (UK). The one I've got has a purge valve, holds all of my dslr equipment and cost about 100... and it floats!!! good luck

SWFLA1 said:
Are you talking about an underwater housing or simply a waterproof carrying case? Underwater housings are camera specific and get pricey, a waterproof carrying case can be had for under $100 (depending on the size you need) look for either Pelican or Underwater Kinetics (UK). The one I've got has a purge valve, holds all of my dslr equipment and cost about 100... and it floats!!! good luck

ah good point, i got my wording mixed up

Well, I guess I'm not sure what I need/want, which is the problem. I'd like to keep it under $300. I don't plan on doing any specific underwater photography, I just want to protect the camera from water... We'd likely be on a boat for 4 days at a time, (will be climbing cliffs along the water and also just relaxing) and these are smaller boats. I am trying to decide if it's safe enough to shoot without a housing in general, or if I really should have the housing. (the soft kind.) I saw some soft ones for less than $300... how expensive are you talking? Are the cheaper ones ineffective?

Thank you!

For underwater you can also get generic camera bag, they range for $100-300 (US) depending on size and options

something like

134012.jpg

I would suggest a hard case housing. I think that gives you a range of possibilities when you're on the boat, and it will allow your camera to float if necessary! Plus, if you drop it off the side of the boat, it's all good. Never heard much of the soft cases, so this is a rather one sided opinion!

looks liek soem kinf bizaar bathing suite :confused:

do you have a link fo rthose? i am really interested in underwater photography but had no idea you could do it with regular cameras! very cool!!!!

Ganoderma said:
looks liek soem kinf bizaar bathing suite :confused:

do you have a link fo rthose? i am really interested in underwater photography but had no idea you could do it with regular cameras! very cool!!!!
B&H photo as them, use link at the top right and then look in underwater section

Most reactions

New Topics

Back