WB and books

Sweetsomedays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am working on my manual setting skills and I am struggling to understand my WB. I understand how it effects a pic, I'm just not sure how to get is just right. I have sat down and slowly adjusted the settings taking a pic each time to see how it changed the pic.
Am I just supposed to find a setting I like and then leave it there and never change it?

Second question and I'm sure it's an old one but I would appreciate your suggestions cuz I need more then just my manuel. Thank you.

Thank you!:thumbup:

your WB changes according to the light in the picture you are currently taking.

your WB in shade is different than in sun and so on.

I wish my lcd was as big as my lap top then cuz when I am shooting outside I have such a hard time seeing how the pic is being effected!

Shoot in raw with Auto WB
That will give you a reasonable shot that can be edited in post-processing.

Wow......I feel dumb, I didn't even realize I could work with my other settings while having my WB on Auto. I need to re-read my manual AGAIN :)

Thank you!

White balance compensates for the colour of the light. If you come from a film camera remember that film is "daylight" balanced roughly to 5000-5100k. This means that on a clear day in direct sunlight you will get grey greys without colour cast. Lock the camera on daylight and then go indoors and take a picture under a tungsten light. A white sheet of paper will have a very orange colour, under fluros it will be a sickly green, step into the shade (sky light but no direct sun) and white comes out blue.

The human eye adjusts for this on the fly, a camera does not. That is what white balance adjustments are for. Set it to tungsten under a tungsten light and a sheet of paper will be white. Take a photo outside in the sun under the tungsten setting it will be very blue.

This is all done after the picture has been taken before it is saved as a JPEG. As Traveller mentioned if you shoot in RAW you have the ability to finely adjust your white balance in software afterwards regardless of how orange or blue the images are. Also AutoWB never gives me results I want, I always shoot in manual usually daylight and adjust afterwards if needed.

Most reactions

Back