WB presets on D90

kass617

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I'm getting the hang of this camera, I've been using it in every mode but AUTO. I've been getting decent pics so far (although it's mostly experimental picsof bushes, stairs, fences, etc. around the house). Now, I'm having a littleget-together tomorrow, and want to take some pictures outside. Is the WB pre-set for outdoors reliable? Or are there any steps I can take before hand to ensure a good WB? I need to re-read the parts about WB in the manual, but if anyone has any quick tips for me for tomorrow, they'd be much appreciated.

Thanks

Personally I shoot in raw+jpeg mode and leave the WB on auto. That way you can always adjust accordingly in PP, and yet still show them the pics on the spot through the lcd. Just the way I roll.....thats all, DW

I haven't really gotten into processing RAW images yet...you've just opened a new can of worms for me, lol.

There are 3 outdoor WB presets:
  1. Direct Sunlight
  2. Cloudy
  3. Overcast
Also the light temperature changes a fair amount around sunrise and sunset.

Nearby foliage or other colorful things can give the sunlight a cast.

Which is part of the reason so many digital SLR photographers capture in the RAW format. Actually, RAW doesn't use ANY WB, only recording the light the lens transmits to the image sensor.

Thanks for the input. I'm gonna experiment a bit with raw tonight and get familiar with it before tomorrow, and see what I'm up against. Photography's a funny thing, every time I learn 1 thing, I realize I need to learn 3 more things to support it.

I shoot AWB unless I see a major issue in camera, then I correct. Aside from that, a slight tweak in PP works everytime.

p!nK

You can use the custom WB feature. If you don't have gray card, use a white piece of napkin. That should do the trick.

Most reactions

Back