We as Artist.

If you're running a business out of photography, or whatever art you are passionate about, then I understand your frustration at people "living off you"

Personally, I jump at any opportunity that allows me to use my camera, maybe because I am new in the photography world and wanting to experiment with everything I possibly can. This jumping at every opportunity, however, only happens if it's for someone I value their friendship or if it's for a cause dear to me. If a friend is a struggling model for example, and can't afford paying the high photo shoot prices, I could relate as a struggling photographer myself, and would be really glad to help.

Sorry for my rambling, but I am just trying to say that we as artists, regardless of our expertise since we all are brought here by our love for photography, should give to the community and friends who are unable to capture moments in life that we can. Maybe I am just too kind?

Why should I feel obligating to do engagment pictures for free!

Or why should I have taken the time to do "christmas" photos of a family in front of a tree... and have them assume I was being nice and not charge.

You shouldn't feel obligated to do anything. If it's for a friend though or even an extended family member, try not to think of it as they are trying to exploit you for your photographic talents. People in general are driven by forces that could be triggered by emotions. A person asking for engagement photos is about to take a big step in their lives and would love to capture it, and when they ask you for help it is most probably because they have enough faith in you to capture such a landmark point of their lives. You should be flattered :) Try to take a breather, let the frustration subside, and remember that you have a true gift because not everyone can be a photographer if they have the equipment, its all about the eye. :):hug::

I do free shoots for my children, usually of my grandchildren. I would be doing that for my wife and I anyway.

The last weddings I did (I hate doing weddings) were for my wifes brothers and sister back in the '70's-80's. I shot them and handed then the exposed film rolls, letting them know that was there wedding present from me. That was the end of free wedding requests.

One of the bands I shoot, the bass players girlfriend wants every pic I take of her boyfriend. When I mention money she goes away. Only to ask again at the next gig I shoot of that band. She is a pest, but a cute drunk pest, so we go through the routine often.

As for the starving model/starving photographer, trading her time for your prints, this is an old method for you both to build portfolios. And that's OK to a point. You be the judge of where that point is.

We all go through the freebie routine as photographers, pro or not. It does become a cash drain and at some point we all find it necessary to put our foot down, draw a line in the sand and price our work. Period. Not in a rude way, but in a way that eliminates the problem. Believe me, word will travel fast. And you might be surprised how many referrals you get once you are a "paid professional".

Or you could do the PP at their house and demand food and drink until you're done. Then of course you will need their credit card number to put in when you upload the photos to Mpix.

OH, HEY, Could I get a couple of mine printed while we're in Mpix? I've got the files right here in this thumb drive and one of them I'm just dieing to see in a 20x24 thanks you're just Great!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is not an "artist" thing. This is a "service" thing. Anyone in a service industry knows that you will always be asked to do things for free because most people don't think of your time/knowledge as being a commodity. If you are a plumber, your family will ask you to fix their plumbing; if you are a mechanic, your friends & family will ask you to "take a look" at their cars; if you are a lawyer, people will ask for free legal advice, etc.

I am not a pro photog (I make too much money to go back to being a starving artist), but I consider taking photos for family part of being in a family. Since I have a BS degree in Computer Science, I get requests to work on family computers. I just consider it to be part of repaying my family for the life I have.

My father recently asked me to design a custom logo for his new company and I would never consider charging for it.

I agree it is a service. Among friends favors are often repaid. That's how it all started for me really. People kept saying I ought to start charging for it. I made up my mind I'd charge people I don't know and keep doing favors for friends and relatives. People know how to repay a favor. Just don't let anyone jerk you around. And keep your day job LOL.

This is not an "artist" thing. This is a "service" thing. Anyone in a service industry knows that you will always be asked to do things for free because most people don't think of your time/knowledge as being a commodity. If you are a plumber, your family will ask you to fix their plumbing; if you are a mechanic, your friends & family will ask you to "take a look" at their cars; if you are a lawyer, people will ask for free legal advice, etc.

I am not a pro photog (I make too much money to go back to being a starving artist), but I consider taking photos for family part of being in a family. Since I have a BS degree in Computer Science, I get requests to work on family computers. I just consider it to be part of repaying my family for the life I have.

My father recently asked me to design a custom logo for his new company and I would never consider charging for it.

I do things for my immediate family...and depending on who the other family member is...maybe the extended family for free...but anyone else...even family friends...no way. Too much frustration. Family members will give me time and treat me like I know what I'm doing and just leave me to it...friends and stuff...they always wanna learn something while I'm working...it's hard to do work and teach computer hardware 101 at the same time. I charge..ahahaha

The funny thing is, whenever my real friends or family asks me to do anything for them, they actually offers to pay when I was planning to give it to them for free. I did my best friends wedding photos and i was gonna give it to them for free, but when his parents found out they insisted on paying.

So I'm not to bothered with this as I found out long ago how to politely refuse free work for people I barely know.

But as others already pointed out, I think carpenters, plumbers and mechanics are even more bothered with this than photographers. Although I think a lot of people view those professions as actual work while they tend to view photography as fun.

I know the feeling - but for me it's not the money, it's the time!

So far, they aren't hitting me up for photography, but rather for flyers and logos and stuff... I do the flyers (including photography of products_ for my Dad's business, and I also volunteer to to do flyers, registrations forms, etc. for a non-profit youth soccer league. I also have done the unimaginably painful task of team photos... Holy-headache!

But honestly, I enjoy doing these things. If I can squeeze some cash out of it, all the better!

However, I can see it being a problem...

This is the exact reason I closed my PC sales/ service business. I was so frustrated with the amount of people that wanted their work done for free or dirt cheap.

I closed the business 2 years ago. To this day, I have extended family that ONLY talk to me when they need something done to their computers. Talk about frustrating!

I am by NO means a professional, I'm barely an amateur photographer and those same family members want me to take engagement and wedding photos... I'm too much of a softy to say no.. so I just keep changing the topic when they ask lol..

The funny thing is, whenever my real friends or family asks me to do anything for them, they actually offers to pay when I was planning to give it to them for free. I did my best friends wedding photos and i was gonna give it to them for free, but when his parents found out they insisted on paying.

So I'm not to bothered with this as I found out long ago how to politely refuse free work for people I barely know.

But as others already pointed out, I think carpenters, plumbers and mechanics are even more bothered with this than photographers. Although I think a lot of people view those professions as actual work while they tend to view photography as fun.

I agree here most real friends wouldn't expect you to do it completely for free. They would always offer something.

My best mate is a hair dresser...now thats a bad skill to have, everyone wants a free haircut!

I agree with most of the opinions here. It is about having a service, people are cheap (not neccessarily a bad thing... everyone wants the best bang for their buck) and will try to get free stuff off anyone who can offer a service. I notice it in the IT market A LOT (I'm not in IT but know many people in that industry).

Back when I was really into web design (I don't do it as much anymore), EVERYONE needed some help with their site or some tips here and there. What most people don't realise is that although perhaps giving a little help isn't that much effort, when you have a whole crowd of people trying to get some of your service off you for free, it really is a pain. My friend still always calls me up and has in-depth conversations every time he makes even the smallest of computer purchases.

My theory is this: when you are starting out in a hobby/career, be it photography, IT or plumbing, people will try to get your services for free. At first, demand will be low and it will be OK, a little free photography is fun and never hurt anyone, but after a while you will have to narrow down the ammount of people who you are willing to provide these free services to, due to a lack of time/money. If I was at this stage (and I am very new to photography so I am not there yet), I would only offer my services to family (of course) and "real" close friends (as opposed to drinking buddies or business partners).

And the "your camera is amazing" thing is SO ANNOYING! I recently went out with some friends and took a group photo of them in central London, full manual exposure as usual. I managed to hit the "sweet spot" with aperture that gave perfect DOF and also perfect exposure that required no PP whatsoever. When I showed them it on my LCD after, beautiful photo it was with perfect vibrant colours, one of them exclaimed "Wow" Your camera's wicked!". It had nothing to do with that, I merely managed to hit the sweet spot with manual exposure.

Most people don't realise that if you were to give them your DSLR in exchange the their P+S for a day, you'd still produce much better photographs.

It is about having a service

Absolutely..

As the carpenter and plumber have mentioned, try being in the construction industry (though I will admit the IT guys do probably take it harder). I was a construction inspector for almost 20 years before moving into my current career as a QC manager for a large conrete company. Anyone who knows me always has a project going, i.e. - a new patio, shed, deck, garage, driveway, house addition, etc, etc, etc.

My solution.....I will quote a price about double to triple that I know any contractor would, and that usually gets them off my back. The thing is, I still get occasional work....:lol:

Back to photography...

Every member of my family has, at one time or another, asked why I didn't go into photography as a profession. Two reasons.
First, I show them a pay stub and tell them that, while possible, there is very little chance I could make this kind of money as a photographer. Second, I enjoy it way too much. If I HAD to do it to make a living, I wouldn't get nearly as much satisfaction out of it. Having to deal with snotty people, processing pictures on deadlines, cancellations, bill collections....no thank you.
My immediate family knows that I am more than happy to take pictures of any special occasions, portraits, new additions to the family, etc. But anyone outside of that circle, the same rule applies as above...double to triple the price. And, same as above, I still get the occasion work there, too. Hey, it pays for the toys.

Most reactions

Back