We were kicked out of the beach...

You paid £20 to access the beach so that makes it sound like a private beach. If that's the case the lifeguard may have had the authority of the owner(s). That makes it awkward, you probably did right to leave without a fuss. Assuming you weren't going beyond the line of decency I agree the lifeguard was an a**hole but the world has lots of a**holes with uniforms who love to goose step all over common sense.

Maybe next time look for a beach that's not private, isn't frequented by families and has no lifeguard/Nazi storm trooper on duty? :)
At least you got some good shots while you were there.

P.S. There's a beach not far from me that would be perfect, I did a nude shoot there several years ago and there was no one in sight. Unfortunately it's probably about 6000+ kilometres too far away.

It was the beach of the municipality

While I agree that the work is well done and hardly erotic, I would submit that doing a shoot like this on a public beach isn't really appropriate, if for no other reason than you're likely to have a bunch of looky-loos getting in the way. First and foremost, @cauzimme, did you have permission to shoot there? Had you determined whether or not permission and/or permits were required? It may have been a public beach, but if there's a life guard there, someone's paying his/her salary, and they probably have rules about what goes on at the beach. Further, while it's easy to castigate the prudish life guard, how do you know that he would not have acted in the same manner had you or your friend simply been languishing around the beach in the same manner without a camera? It's also possible, likely even, that one or more members of the public complained, and he was simply doing his job. To paraphrase Sir Winston Churchill, the needs desires of the many outweigh the needs desires of the few.

I agree it's unfortunate that you couldn't finish your shoot, but it's also important to remember that being a photographer does not give one rights over others, and just because you wanted to shoot in that location at that time, does not mean that you should be able to.

Yes the location permits photoshoot and video, I called before, I wouldn't have planned a photoshoot otherwise, we went during the weekday, at 11 -noon so it would have less people, it was actually a cold and windy day, so when we arrived, there was only 3 people, reading books, fully covered. At noon, children arrived, but were on the extremity far from us, in the daycamp section. And 2 others photographer/videographer arrived, one was doing family images, the other one, filming a Yoga video.

well, you cant play frisbee on CA beaches... so...

I believe I would have asked for a refund...and I would have requested a refund and clarification as to the rules you were violating that resulted in your expulsion/request to leave. I feel quite certain that the lifeguard was able to act as an owner/agent of the property and you did the correct thing by leaving. I would go back to management and file a complaint as it appears that you did not violate any common sense rules. Request a refund...what can it hurt. It can bring to light the inferiority complex of the lifeguard and/or those that may have complained to the lifeguard. Great photos by the way.

And this was in Montreal? I'm surprised then, not know for being prudish there. Great photos. Love to see more of your model, something about red hair and freckles.

Most reactions

Back