Weak Dollar

Damn, I want some of those! I wonder if they had to make the bill bigger to fit that many zeros on it...

Seriously though...
If things keep going the way they are, it will affect my job. With fuel getting higher and higher, people not being able to pay for all the stuff they have on borrowed money, and just generally not having much left at the end of the week - they won't go on that vacation they had planned for the summer (or maybe they will and just get a new credit card...), business will hold a tele/videoconference instead of flying out to meet in person, etc...

Less people flying means less planes for me to fix. Luckily I'm in the defense sector right now so it doesn't affect me as much, but if commercial aviation suffers too much there will be lots of layoffs and the job market will be over-saturated with mechanics.

Aerospace always follows a funky cycle, too. Its not as fixed to the economy as the financial or technology sector, and its not even inversely related like energy and consumer staples. It definitely its own cat, which is both good and bad.

Sorry to hear you're on some rough times, sir. I hope everything goes well for you, and maybe something will happen like you getting a promotion or something! *Senor crosses his fingers for Jeep*

maybe something will happen like you getting a promotion or something! *Senor crosses his fingers for Jeep*
Funny you say that, when my boss gets back from vacation I'm going to talk to him about just that. :)

Yeah, aerospace does kinda do it's own thing. Even inside the industry - like Commercial and Government; usually one is doing good and the other is suffering.

Last edited:
North Dakota too!

Moving from Texas to New Jersey was a huge change... good ones and different experiences. Saying that all the U.S. is similar is like saying there are no differences between Canada, Mexica, and the U.S. Hell... there is enough difference between North, Central, and North Jersey that they can literally be 3 different states. There is more to traveling than just sightseeing... it is the experience.

Me... when I retire (if I can who knows by that time), I'm going to sell everything and buy a full-year RV. Live and experience different places in the U.S. Too cold? head south.. Too hot? head north. Visit family for a few weeks is as easy as pulling into their driveway. No freakin property tax that keeps climbing to the point that retired/fixed income people loose their homes after 30 years of hard work.

A few of you have touched on political topics. You are all adults, and you know the rules here. Stay on topic.

Nebraska is very beautiful!

Really? I think I slept through Nebraska on a solo road trip last year.

As far as the original post goes, the weak dollar doesn't help my traveling at all. I'm a road trip kinda person, but at $4 a gallon road tripping isn't exactly smart. That on top of rising rent and food costs and tuition and non-rising paychecks, things are getting tight, no matter where the dollar stands compared to the rest of the world.

And your point is??? Besides, its been my experience many people are soul-less narcissistic whores. Some are just more vocal than others.

BTW, how is this NOT a political discussion?

Eh. Rand is a blowhard who spent her life under the delusion that Nietzsche and Foucault were serenading her.

And, if we can shy away from dependency theory and propaganda we should be perfectly capable of speaking pure economics.

Economies have to be related to the production of goods, tangible assets, so that when things start going south you still have something to fall back on. A service industry is no good without people with the means to be serviced.

Economies have to be related to the production of goods, tangible assets, so that when things start going south you still have something to fall back on. A service industry is no good without people with the means to be serviced.

Which is why, IMO the globalization and free trade we are encouraging as a nation (the U.S.) will lower the per-capita incomes in wealthy nations, and raise the per-capita incomes of poorer nations. The more the world starts moving with the actions of one entity, the less differences (both culturally and economically) there will be between us all. Whether that is a bad thing or good thing I believe starts becoming political opinion, so I will stop there.

Which is why, IMO the globalization and free trade we are encouraging as a nation (the U.S.) will lower the per-capita incomes in wealthy nations, and raise the per-capita incomes of poorer nations.

Every shred of empirical evidence points to the exact opposite of that statement. A rising tide is useless if income disparities simultaneously increase.

I'm willing to bet that there will not be any such thing as a US Dollar in less than 4 years from now. In 2 or so it will completely implode! Total economical collapse. The merger with Canada and Mexico into "The North American Union" (with the loss of American sovereignty) will be offered up as the saviour and the currency will be changed to "The Amero". People who have food stores and hard assets will fair OK but the vast majority of the middle class in the USA will be toast. This has appeared in CFR and government documents in numerous places over the past 6 to 8 years that I know of and they haven't missed a beat with any of their other stated goals so I dunno why this one would be any different.

Uninformed people or those informed by lies (AKA: Television) think that the US economy is uncontrolled and unpredictable to a large degree. They think no one knows where it will go and only educated guesses can be made. But when a full understanding or a fuller understanding of who and what the Fed is and who or what controls it, is obtained then all that you need to do is listen to those people and (since 1913 or so anyway) you will know exactly - beyond any doubt - what will happen. Heh! It's not like they don't tell almost all directly. Most of the information is hidden in plain sight.

The US dollar? Kiss it goodbye! It's on it's way out!

Last edited:
And I'm not sure if the weak dollar helped, but the real estate market on the west coast finally cooled off enough for me to buy a house...

The weak dollar only has to do with performance vs. foreign currency. The housing correction is because the speculators who nearly DOUBLED housing prices from 2000-2005 have finally sobered up.

Most reactions

Back