dnavarrojr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.topekadesign.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Topeka Design - Home

I am finally updating/upgrading my web site... I'm converting over to WordPress, which I installed a couple weeks ago and finally started adding pages, plugins, etc... yesterday.

I am not a fan of flash sites, so I'm avoiding that route. I had a personal site on Wordpress.com for a long time, so I really like how it has grown up and I'm used to how it works as a CMS.

I am still in the process of importing content, so a number of pages are blank (just place-holders) at the moment and my blog isn't up to date (missing 4 articles).

I'm mostly looking for C&C on the overall look, usefulness and anything I might be missing.

Thanks!

--Dave

I'm not a fan of Flash either! I'm using a 1024 x 768 monitor (like a lot of people) and I have to scroll right to view all of your content. It's very annoying. I would probably include your location and what you do in your <title> tag. Topeka Design - Home is not very SEO-friendly.

Thanks much Mike. I'll get to the SEO stuff after I get all the content finished.

It's funny about the 1024 thing... Back when I was a full time web developer, we spent years worrying about the percentage of people still using 800x600 monitors. I guess I need to look at research on how many people are still using 1024 resolution/monitors.

When I started doing video work full-time I switched to a 16x9 monitor and every laptop I've seen in the past 3 or 4 years was 16x9. I'll have to see if mine will even switch into a 1024 width mode.

Also, I am wondering if I should watermark all of the images in my galleries... or if potential clients would fine that too annoying.

When I started tinkering with web design (10+ years ago) I made sure a 800 x 600 monitor would fit. Now I try and make sure the 1024 x 768 monitors will fit, since ~25% of my users still have the "smaller" monitor (including me).

I don't watermark my images. I use 600 x 400, so their not getting anything large from me if they want to try and print one.

Mike,

How did you get that URL for your Facebook page? I cannot figure out how to get a simple URL for mine.

It's funny about the 1024 thing... Back when I was a full time web developer, we spent years worrying about the percentage of people still using 800x600 monitors. I guess I need to look at research on how many people are still using 1024 resolution/monitors.

I wouldn't worry too much about anything lower than 1024 x 768

Screen_shot_2011-02-02_at_09.10.41.png

If you expand that 'Higher' link you can see that 1280 x 1024 has more or less the same share as 1024 x 768... Keep in mind that you should really base that off your own statistics :)

It's agonising having to design stuff for 1024 or even 1280 when I'm using 2560 but i guess it has to be done :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back