website d80 only 499.00 new?

I'd stay away. Typical bait & switch scammers - take a look at their reseller ratings.

..edit.. I should add that with cameras and camera gear, that for the most part if it looks too good to be true, it is. B&H and Adorama are the most well known distributors - you can find links to their sites at the top of this page. While their prices may be no better than anyone else's, you can be sure you're not getting scammed. I've bought from B&H on several occasions, and I've had absolutely no trouble with them.

If a deal is too good to be true it usually is and on the internet Iwould say it definately is, there is no reason for a D80 to go for half its price at this point in time.

I wouldn't borrow seafoxfla's ten foot pole and touch it either.

STAY AWAY from these people my friend... STAY AWAY...

Ya they are scam artist, I cant believe ppl havent sued them yet for their border-line or totally illegal tatics.

I wonder why in the world the AG's in NY (if that is where they are located... a lot of these scam places are in NY and NJ) don't rip these guys a new one?

If I were a state AG, I would make it my personal goal in life of ridding my state of scammers of all kinds.

alright thanks guys ill stay away from those kind of deals

You could always look for a used or refurbished body. I got my 350d refurbed and it works perfectly.

Instead of starting a new thread, I noticed in a copy of Outdoor photography which I just got, Broadwayphoto has a D80 listed for $769.99 (vs $859 @ B&H)

Whats their reputation like? Would OP mag list a shop with dodgy service?

EDIT: After a quick google I answered my own question. Another bait& switch...why would a major magazine accept an add placment from a dodgy firm?

EDIT: Is it ok to name the magazine? Great magazine and its not going to stop me buying it :p

Instead of starting a new thread, I noticed in a copy of Outdoor photography which I just got, Broadwayphoto has a D80 listed for $769.99 (vs $859 @ B&H)

Whats their reputation like? Would OP mag list a shop with dodgy service?

I don't think I would go with them either. If it's the store I'm thinking of, they have 4 or 5 different names - and all of them have crappy ratings.

Ebay can be a good venue on occasion from some of the private sellers. It's pretty easy to identify scams or stolen goods and stay away from them. I just got a d80 (used from private seller, about 2500 shots on it)with the MB-D80 grip, 18-55 lens, blank warranty cards and a 1g SD card for $850 with a tracking number from UPS. If you use ebay and paypal, you can usually get your money back if it's a scam as well, so that's one less thing to worry about. Generally though, if you want to be sure about your purchase, your going to have to spend.

If it sounds too good to be true it is. If you are buying gear and you see a price that is waaaay lower than anywhere else it is a scam.

Most reactions

Back