website prices

Greatwhite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
OK...time to put up a webpage....I want a very clean one, no gimmiks, or such, no ads.....

I can have a custom site made for me....about $1000, includes 8 pages and a year of hosting, set up, etc....

Good? too high?

Thoughts?

way too high. making a webpage is pretty simple...cheaper to take a class in html, and host it yourself...lmfao.

Ummm..
get one of those smugmug.com sites...way cheaper and easy to use.

What will you be using the site for?

Too high... find some kid that know his/her stuff - there are lots out there that are willing to do it for cheaper. Try some computer students or whatnot. Also check into GoDaddy.com - they have it all there - domain name, hosting and website tonight (non-flash) website - kind of basic but it's free and a do-it-yourselfer, all you have to pay for is hosting to get ads off and purchase a domain name. They have good support too if you get lost.

I used to design websites for folks and I charged around $200 for the entire site. I then charged a small amount for updates but I quickly got away from even that and built sites that everyday users could update easily themselves so they became zero administration sites as far as I was concerned.

If you want a simple site, let me know and I will work with you to get one designed for free. I can also help you get the Domain and hosting done with companies that won't rip you off and have good, quick service.

Just send me a PM and I will help if I can. If you want something that is over my head or ability I will also let you know. ;)

THX for the replies.....

The site is to be used for a gallery, no sales, but rather a place publishers, editors, etc, can be directed to see my work in several categories/galleries....no flash, no music, no fluff, just images that stand out.

I have seen alot of the free and template websites, but all seem to have a little advertising, even if just the host or temlate maker (fusion, etc)....

I want it professionally clean, which is why I am looking at custom setup.

Decisions, decisions....

I guess I should add, that the designers looking at doing my site, looked at my portfolio, and want business cards so they can give them to other clients who are looking for photogs for thier sites.....

SO, if I let them do it for a grand, it may lead to more referral/network oppourtunities....

That should have some value....

But either way a grand is a grand....and I am not a rich man...

THX for the replies.....

The site is to be used for a gallery, no sales, but rather a place publishers, editors, etc, can be directed to see my work in several categories/galleries....no flash, no music, no fluff, just images that stand out.

If you aren't going to sell things on the site (e-commerce) then there is no reason at all to pay $1000 for the site. All you need to run a site like that is either straight HTML or a PHP-based site.

PHP-based will give you more flexibility and can be made so you can update / upload more pictures easily without having to keep talking to / paying the designer to update the site.

I agree with smcaskil. My PHP site was designed for $200 and it allows me to change anything I want. You just need to find someone to design it for you, and find a hosting site, such as http://bluehost.com so that the designer will have a place to upload the files. Most hosting sites will also do the domain name registry, too.

Marian

photoshop does some clean looking galleries - then just use godaddy to host it

A thousand is at least 50% more than the going rate for most pros to set up an 8 page site. Learn to do it yourself and save yourself some big bucks... spend it on something useful... like a lens! (lol)

Find someone who will do it for half of that and pay them. The learning curve for a good, clean, well functioning and not full of sloppy code website is steeper than you'd think.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back