bhoskins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I have been told that it is time I tried to move away from Flickr and start my own website but don't have a clue what I need to do to get it started!

HELP!!!!!!

Ben

I have been told that it is time I tried to move away from Flickr and start my own website but don't have a clue what I need to do to get it started!
You need to register a domain name...the hard part is picking a good one. There are countless places/sites where you can register it.
You need hosting. I recommend HostGator.
Then you just need a site. You can create your own if you have the software, or you can find a pre-made template and just customize it.

There are countless resources for this stuff...Google is your friend.

Dude, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a website hosting (or creating) company on the internets.

Seems I see GoDaddy commercials every day on TV - they do that.

i dont have any smugmug experience, but as far as total independence, mikes got the idea here.

a .com domain should be about $10/yr.
i use godaddy for my hosting, and i pay 3.99 a month and i get 10gb of web space.
their uptime is phenomenal, and their customer service is fantastic. ive been with them for years and i have zero complaints.

just another route.

i dont have any smugmug experience, but as far as total independence, mikes got the idea here.

a .com domain should be about $10/yr.
i use godaddy for my hosting, and i pay 3.99 a month and i get 10gb of web space.

The standard SmugMug package is actually cheaper. $40/year. You can register for your personal name site (whateveryoulike.com) with GoDaddy for another $10 that links to your SmugMug site. Here is what you get with the standard package.

Standard Account ($39.95/year)

• Store unlimited photos. Retrieve them anytime.
  • Stunning themes make your pages pretty with a click.
  • Family and friends don't need an account to see your photos.
  • Order beautiful prints & gifts.
  • Keep your priceless photos safe and secure from loss and damage.
  • Protect your photos from prying eyes with passwords and more.
I figure, unless you are seriously wanting to spend time to learn and build a website, you can't go wrong with SmugMug. I wanted to save myself the headache.

You need to register a domain name...the hard part is picking a good one. There are countless places/sites where you can register it.
You need hosting. I recommend HostGator.
Then you just need a site. You can create your own if you have the software, or you can find a pre-made template and just customize it.

There are countless resources for this stuff...Google is your friend.

So I would get my domain from somewhere like hostgator, do they have sitebuilding stuff or would I have to get some software and design from there?

What happens about putting the actual design on the internet ?

Ben

Web Hosting - Shared cPanel Linux Web Hosting

I don't see that Hostgator does domain registering...but as someone mentioned, you can get that anywhere (godaddy.com for example).

Hostgator does have free site building software and free templates as well. They have tutorials on how to do just about everything...plus, their on-line support is really good. I had a few questions/issues and I just chatted with a support tech and got it all sorted out. They make it all pretty easy.

Most reactions

Back