Website

Luke345678

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For a while I hosting and designing my own website but keeping up with it took a lot of time, more than I wanted to spend on what I wanted as a simple website. I did like having my own website though, full control and I was able to make it relatively simplistic. The site was linked up with my PayPal so the payment went directly to me and as I stated before, it was just so simple and I loved it.

Like I said though, this was taking too much time to maintain so I think I'm going to switch over to a paid host. After look around a lot I've decided I really like Square Space. I was considering Smugmug but I've heard that they get most of the money because people can get these plaques or what ever (Not completely sure, I've never used Smugmug.)

Anyway, my question is what type website host do you guys have if any? If anyone has Square Space which is the one I'm leaning towards please let me know how it is. I'd get the rate for 25 bucks a month which is relatively reasonable for what I get from Square Space. Also, if there are any other website host that you guys think I should take a look at that'd be much appreciated as well. All I need is to be able to have people purchase pictures straight off the website.

Thanks,

-Luke

I use Squarespace and like it. The dashboard is really easy to use and there's enough features to make me happy. Mostly I just wanted to be able to have a nice looking website with a blog, so it works for me.

My only complaint is that they don't have a very large selection of templates. You can edit all their templates to a certain extent using their built-in CSS editor but it still looks like the template you chose

However, I think that that is going to be an issue with any template-based website service so I digress.

I use zenfolio. It's pretty simple to setup. Has a good back end for handling sales of photos. Only costs $110 a year so almost 1/3 of what square space costs

I was considering Smugmug but I've heard that they get most of the money because people can get these plaques or what ever (Not completely sure, I've never used Smugmug.)

I have been with Smugmug for quite a few years ... and I have no idea what you are referring to here.
Smugmug has four levels of subscription:
Basic $40
Power $60
Portfolio $150 - you are allowed ONE active price list
Business $300 - you can have as many different price lists as you like
Comparisons here: Share, store and sell your photos on your own photo website. Make it completely yours with beautiful designs. Protect your photos with passwords, watermarks, right click protection. Make beautiful prints and gifts.
They have just re-written their entire code making it easier for non-coders to put together pretty impressive websites (that are also easy to maintain)
They also have a VERY active forum with a number of code geniuses who are willing to help people out for nothing.
Yes they are still shaking down some issues associated with the New Smugmug but the new architecture will allow them to add new features much more easily.
Also a 24/7 help desk
Unlimited uploads - yes, NO limit

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back