Website

bakstreet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
When putting pics on your website, in photoshop do you "save for web?" If so, how much do you optimize to get them to fit on your site or without seriously loosing quality. I'm having to set mine at 30% in order to get them to fit, am I doing something wrong. I'm shooting with a 10.2mp camera set on Fine. Should I be resizing my images or something first?

Thanks.

You should probably resize them so that they are the correct size to display in the content of the site. Perhaps you're also linking to larger versions of the images. If so, these may also want reducing to fit in a 1024x768 screen (so about 640x480). Plus you dont want to give away your full size images to anyone that might want to snatch them ! :meh:

At these sizes you should get away with using 80% jpeg quality and it should load quickly enough, and do the images justice. :wink:

well,maybe you can try my site.XD

That's what save for web is for. Compress until it looks reasonable. No one could possibly give you a number here. An image with a deep blue/purple gradient may look horrible below 90%, but an image made of all yellow could be dropped down to 30-40.

The Jpeg algorithm is quite complex, and save for web dialogue was designed precisely for trial and error. What you see is what you get!

I don't use photoshop at all, I use aperture (light room would work exactly as well) and I batch them.

I don't use photoshop at all, I use aperture (light room would work exactly as well) and I batch them.

Or lacking the expensive software, you can batch resize and re-name with Irfanview. (FREE! http://www.irfanview.com ) Generally I don't go over 800 x ??? for web pages, because that will display the image large enough for a nice view, without spilling over the sides, or making the browser re-size it. Most of the time for a gallery the thumbs are 120 or 140 wide, which makes it so I can put five across. Many times I dumb down the photos to 640 wide.

Also I save at 80% on Irfanview, just because they look nice and it reduces the size. Just a number I picked out of the air, no science.

Believe it or not, some people are still dialup or have slower internet. Fast loading web pages are more viewer friendly.

Here's a nice one. It's OPG which is OnePageGallery, not to be confused with another site that makes a One Page Gallery :confused: This one is a simple php code that finds the pictures and makes the page. I mean REALLY simple. You only need to have a directory of photos and within that directory another folder named TN which holds the ThumbNails. As long as the names are in the same sequence, the thumbs and images will match.

Main pages is a block of thumbs with a black background. When you click on any one of them, it opens the larger image.

It has right click defeated, but that's easy to get around. It's just a nice inconvenience. People who right click get a message saying, email <your name> for more information. (or whatever you code into it)

It makes multiple pages with Index 1 - 2 Etc. When you are viewing photos it has a Previous - Next arrow. All automated, no more coding necessary.

If you don't do HTML it's easy, and ready to run. The Index has documentation, and things like <page title> and clear instructions. Of course I whomped it up a bit on my pages and added a Buy Photos link, email link and counter, but, as issued, it's just fine! Oh and once again FREE!

http://www.onepagegallery.com/

And should someone want to see what a one page gallery looks like. Here's one I whipped up in minutes, last Summer.

http://www.gizex.com/gallery/sports_car_road_america_2007/

For adding your watermark photoshop is required but if u want just to resize without loosing the quality then yu must TRY ACDsee version 9. Really cool batch tools it hs.

Most reactions

Back