Wedding Ceremony Question

3of11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will be shooting a wedding in a few months. I have shot receptions before, but never an actual ceremony. It may shock you to hear that I haven't even been to a ceremony as an adult and so really need help in what is important for shooting a wedding ceremony. What will my role be during the ceremony? How many pictures are taken during the ceremony compared to the whole wedding day? What should I be doing to prepare like checking out the church, talking to the church official, etc? I don't know if my questions are specific enough to get any answers, but anything will be appreciated. Also, if you have any ideas on where I could get more information I would appreciate it.

Definitely talk to the church officiant. Some don't ant you even breathing meanwhile others would let you crawl through their legs to get a shot. They really do vary. It also depends on the ceremony (hour long Catholic mass vs. 10 minute civil ceremony) so the number of the photos really do depend on that.

If you are allowed to photograph up close during the ceremony be courteous to the guests. Go up the aisle, take a shot or two, then beat it to the back. Don't just hang around standing up there (I see that happen often) as you will block 1/3 of the guests view and they aren't too keen on that!

I personally will do anything to avoid using flash - it is a ceremony afterall. If it is dark and dank as could be and I have been given permission to use flash, I may use it when the father/bride are coming down the aisle, the 'hand-off' (that's right, just like football ;)), exchange of rings, kiss, coming back down the aisle. But as I said, I try to avoid that.

Bring a tripod!

Peanuts - Loved all your advice. Thanks so much. Anyone else?

peanuts gave great advice. i would talk to the officiant early, and see if perhaps you can visit the church another day around the same time the ceremony will take place. if possible, go to the rehearsal and get a feel for what your lighting is. i prefer to shoot ceremonies with a mono-pod, but different people use different methods.

best of luck.

Most reactions

Back