Wedding Client

So I had potential wedding client send me an email about doing a wedding shoot for her. She explained that she was coming in from out of town (is originally from this area). She also explained that her wedding was on a Monday at 11:00 a.m., three days before Christmas, and was looking to hire a photographer on a budget. I don't have much wedding photography in my portfolio, and we quickly addressed that I was a portrait photographer, and that I was wanting to add more weddings to my repertoire. She then explained her budget was x amount, and told me the venue, the shooting times, etc. I explained to her that (based on my current rates for regular portrait sessions) my cost for the wedding would be a couple hundred above her amount. (My prices are irrelevant to the discussion - just please note that she was undercutting my regular work by a significant amount.)

She then proceeded to tell me that she works for a photographer, and that because her boss was leaving out of town on the day of her wedding, she wouldn't be able to take them. I thought that was pretty strange. I also thought that she was booking really short notice for her wedding (3 months). Then she proceeded to ask me about my editing programs, and also my editing process. Then she told me (and linked me) to some modeling work that she had done...which was irrelevant. I told her that I didn't currently have any of my wedding work on my website, and was wanting to add to it. So I asked for a few days to get that done and that I would be in touch.

My gut is telling me that, while this would be a pretty good opportunity to get some cash and to expand my portfolio, this could end up being a major disaster. She apparently "knows" the business, and if she doesn't like my editing process, etc., then it could spell major headache for me. I read once that if you feel that a client is trying to penny pinch, then they're never the right client. A good client will accept the price for what it is and move forward. Those with experience with these types of clients - care to input?

Thanks
Run I smell a Bridezilla

I don't know that it's necessarily a bad thing that she tries to get a better price; I don't see that as weird.

But you shouldn't be expected to cut your rate drastically just because she works for a photographer and "knows the business". In fact, she doesn't know your business, and that's what matters; your business, not her boss' business.

I would quote her a price and leave it at that. She is either free to accept it or free to not accept it.

This one really sounds like it would turn into more grief and stress. Not worth it just to add a few shots to your portfolio. I would let her know right away that you're not interested, take the high road on this as a professional. If she questions you as to why you won't do it, just tell her it's for personal reasons and leave it at that, that's the only reason you have to give her. It also sounds better than saying, it all sounds like too much of a headache.

This one really sounds like it would turn into more grief and stress. Not worth it just to add a few shots to your portfolio. I would let her know right away that you're not interested, take the high road on this as a professional. If she questions you as to why you won't do it, just tell her it's for personal reasons and leave it at that, that's the only reason you have to give her. It also sounds better than saying, it all sounds like too much of a headache.

It would be very, very easy for a potential client to take issue with this. Once you say it's for "personal reasons", you remove it from the "professional" arena. I think that would be bad in this case.

Personal reason could be anything.

What would the professional suggestion be, if the question comes up?
Definitely agree. It could even be, "oh, shoot, I'll be out of town for the holiday".

Most reactions

Back