Wedding Dress

You, Sir, are getting somewhere. :thumbup:

Thanks very much Grandad, its high praise at my stage in the game. As far as spending the rest of my life shooting that model, well I'm kinda contracted into that one already. Whether I like it or not lol.

The wedding dress pics came from the end of the night, but before these there was a different dress and I had the background actually smooth. Sometimes lit, sometimes not, and sometimes with gels that I had just got delivered that day. I've only edited a couple of those so far as I already knew the wedding dress was going to be my winner of the session.

$5.jpg

This was me testing how far I could push the background before I lost the hair in the spill.

$6.jpg

And experimenting with a gel. It worked better as B&W.

$7.jpg

And thats all I've done of the rest so far, I'll stick them up on flickr as I do. But yeah as i said, i found the smooth bg to be a bit bland when I was doing the wedding dress, and thought the swirly cloudiness was more appealing. (Rookie experimentation heh). And the viynls heavy enough you can warp it about a bit.

Just in case the threads not pic-heavy enough as it is, I'll add my new favorite from the wedding dress as well. I'm quite proud of these, so please excuse my shameless self-promotion.

$8.jpg

Last edited:
On page 1, I like the standing pose the most. I like the background color, gray, and the dramatic lighting and the interesting pose she's in. The big black area by her right shoulder is a bit troubling, but overall, it's an okay shot. The second one, where she is sitting down...pretty dark,as in badly underexposed and under-lighted, and does not draw as much interest from me. Not a lot to say on the page 2 additions, except that they look experimental, and then the last one from the page 1 set shows that very steep, black shadow coming from using one main light.

Mixing these two set into one post makes it more difficult to comment than I'm willing to do on a Saturday AM. Keep shooting!

On page 1, I like the standing pose the most. I like the background color, gray, and the dramatic lighting and the interesting pose she's in. The big black area by her right shoulder is a bit troubling, but overall, it's an okay shot. The second one, where she is sitting down...pretty dark,as in badly underexposed and under-lighted, and does not draw as much interest from me. Not a lot to say on the page 2 additions, except that they look experimental, and then the last one from the page 1 set shows that very steep, black shadow coming from using one main light.

Mixing these two set into one post makes it more difficult to comment than I'm willing to do on a Saturday AM. Keep shooting!

Y'know, I've been waiting for a big feature post from you Derrel, something along the lines of using bare strobes and the duality of the human soul, possibly with some life lessons mixed in. I feel empty now. :(

Lol, only the white dress shots were for critique, the black dress was me defensively trying to prove that I do know how to have a smooth background and that the murkiness was intentional. Confusion is my forte.

All joking aside, thanks for taking the time to comment dude, and to everyone else who puts up with my amatuer experimentation.

Its appreciated!

Most reactions

Back