Wedding Insurance

mortallis288

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been reading a lot and a lot of websites say that you need liabilty and malpractice insurance? is this really a necessity?

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95620

It's no secret that more and more people these days (especially in the US) will sue at the drop of a hat if they think they can get rich quick. Having insurance is a way of protecting you and yours (family & personal finances)...if and when you get sued etc. What if, for example, you are on a shoot and someone trips over your camera bag, or a cord from your lights? That person may decide to sue you.

Malpractice Insurance seems light it might be going a little overboard...but I'm sure that some photographers have been sued because the clients didn't think they did a good job. This is where a good contract comes in...most will have a line about limiting the liability to the cost of the photography package. However, sometimes a contract isn't enough to prevent them from suing you.

I'd suggest you talk to a lawyer who is familiar with this type of thing, then maybe consult with an insurance agent.

oh ... and thought this thread was about an insurance in case you accidentally get married to someone :p

What has this world come to??

Yea...it might be a good idea, just to be safe. Even if it's your kid brother's wedding, a guest might trip over something...or get annoyed at a flash...or something dumb like that.

i'm a bad girl actually... and i am working... very hard... yes, yes, very very hard. lots of work happening here, i can assure you...:sexywink:

Same here!

Errm, not about being a girl, but about all the work ;)

Sorry for the gender mixup ;)

my apologies big mike for posting this in the wrong place

Insurance for my business only costs about $500 a year, so it's worth it to me. If someone falls off of their stool in the middle of a portrait shoot, I'm covered. :)

I know a lot of wedding photographers who've gotten out of the business because they've been sued or seen too many others get sued.

Im not ready to get into wedding photography yet, i am working on getting a portifolio and more glass and extra equipment, but I am wanting to do freelance stuff for weddings, and like you said people try to find reasons to sue you. Like the whole coffee being hot thing.

The PPA has an indemnification coverage, for about $50/yr on top of their regular dues....I hear it is pretty good coverage....

What has this world come to??

Yea...it might be a good idea, just to be safe. Even if it's your kid brother's wedding, a guest might trip over something...or get annoyed at a flash...or something dumb like that.
what do you mean by this? what is the world coming to? a wedding photographer is a business person like any other. When you are in business yo uneed insurance it is just a fact of life. I think the advent of digital has made it more necesarry just because there are more amatuers getting into the business for fun and do not take it seriuosly enough and screw it up and get themselves in trouble. That is pretty much why all the horror stories are out there now.

Most reactions

Back