wedding photo tips PLEASE!!!

fotoconsolation

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
my g/f's brother is getting married in a few weeks and they asked me to shoot the wedding pics for them. ive only been into photogaphy for a year or so now plus i've never really taken any portraits or anything of that sort so i'm nervous. please help me out, if you any tips or suggestions or recommend anything let me know. i dont wanna screw this up!lol

Serious tip - DON"T do it.

There isn't enough we could say to get you ready with that experience, timeline, etc. Tell them they really need to hire someone even if it's a part-timer.

M

I'm going to have to agree, somewhat, with mavrik.

If, that is, you do not feel comfortable shooting something of this magnitude. I say "magnitude" in the sense that this is someone's wedding. You can't reshoot photos you miss or flub up. (I speak from experience!)

If they cannot afford to hire someone with more experience, or they just want to give you the opportunity, then do everything in your power to PREPARE for the wedding day: research, research, research, take test shots of the two of them, the location of the ceremony, take close-up practice shots of the bride... Obviously, they must have seen something in you or your work to even suggest this...so, there is that. :D

There is much to be done that can help to prepare you, but once that day arrives, you just have to be ready to capture everything you can, as best you can.

One tip (from my wife) is don't be afraid to get up close to them. Don't interfere in the proceedings, of course, but don't let a shot escape you because you weren't certain. Take the chance, take the shot...they will thank you later.

That's about all I can say in a few paragraphs...but remember, there have been hundreds of books and manuals printed on this very subject. Research everything you can between now and then...or, again, if you don't feel comfortable, ask them (or research for them) to find other photographer options.

GOOD LUCK!

(We all have to start somewhere.) :D

(You can check our site below for some sample ideas, as well.)

I have been asked a similar request. I cinvinced them to hire a pro, partially because I don't have the experience but mostly because I don't have the equipment. It would be foolish to be the primary photographer without a back-up for all the important equipment.

What I did do, was offer to be the secondary photographer. I covered things that the hired pro did not. The bride getting ready in the morning, different angles during the ceremony, candids during the formal shoot and all of the reception. This way they only had to pay the pro for the essential shots...the ceremony & the formals.

As mentioned, everyone has to start somewhere, so if you are confident you can pull it off without messing up their big day...go for it. Just be prepared and confident.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back