Wedding photographers... what RAW software?

I currently use photoreflect as I do not have enough business at this time to support paying for a service yet. I looked at the digilab site and I really like their offerings. Adobe Lightroom is absolutely wonderful software as well. I just cannot say enough about lightroom since I started using it last week.

yeah, i just ordered lightroom last night and did the next day air thing.....i can't wait to get it since i have a wedding to edit. if you like digilabs, just go for it. it's $150 a year......not bad with all you get.

yeah, i just ordered lightroom last night and did the next day air thing.....i can't wait to get it since i have a wedding to edit. if you like digilabs, just go for it. it's $150 a year......not bad with all you get.

I am new to the photography business...what is the need for something like lightroom? I haven't started a busy workflow yet, so not sure why I would need something like this?
Thanks in advance.

Personally, Lightroom just fits me best. It allows me much greater speed in going from mem card to finished files.

Processes that used to take me several days can be done in VERY short amounts of time. If I don't have to make any serious edits (healing/cloning) I can be finished with an entire set of shots (369 shots in my first test batch) in just under 2 hours from mem card to finished files.

My old work flow used to take the better part of a day just flagging and sorting the keepers from the trash.

I had a trial version of Lightroom but I never got around to figuring it out or using it and after all that's been said here, now I'm kicking myself!

Yeah I've looked around and I'm sticking with Lightroom... it saves me SO much time. :thumbup:

I'm using lightroom more and more. When I used to use Ps I'd end up editing every image. Now I can do my edits very quickly and have my saved images ready for printing very quickly. Even things like colour correction are very fast and simple. The quick collections are great and flagging an image is easy.

Perfect for my workflow and if I need to edit some images in Ps I can be much more selective.

I'm not a wedding photographer (or yet at least) but I have done lots of different kind of events. My old work flow was worting them one by one and then editing one by one. I recently got lightroom and it saves soooooo much time. I can just do basic adjustments to one and then set it so all of them get the same treatment then the ones I like more I go in PS and manually do it. Saves a LOT of time.

I recommend watching some of the videos on the adobe site. They gives you a lot of tips

To be honest, in most cases the auto function works amazingly well. I go through each and tweak very slightly.

Lightroom's editing module - the Develop Module - uses Adobe Camera Raw or ACR.
ACR first appeared with Photoshop 7.0.1 in August of 2002.
ACR 3.0 first appeared with Photoshop CS 2 (Photoshop 9) in April 2005. (Photoshop 8 was named Photoshop CS - Creative Suite.)
Lightroom 1.0 started shipping in February of 2007 (about the time this thread was started), some 4.5 years after Photoshop 7 and the Lr Develop Module was ACR 3.0.

Photoshop CC 2017 is Photoshop 18.
Both Photoshop CC 2017 (released Nov.2, 16) Camera Raw and Lightroom CC 2015 (Lightroom 6) use ACR 9.1 which was released in June of 2015.

Note too that Adobe Photoshop's Photography subscription includes both Lr and Ps.
Because Lightroom's primary function is image database management, and Lr was designed to be a front end application to compliment, not replace, Photoshop.
Both Lightroom's Develop module, and Photoshop's Camera Raw have a lot less editing capability than Photoshop has.

Since both Lr and Ps use ACR it's easy to switch back and forth between the 2.

A better application for image database management, and as good or better for Raw file conversion is Phase One's Media Pro.

Most reactions

Back