Wedding Photography Choices

Roxbury

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

a friend of mine is hoping her boyfriend will propose to her soon. I guess she would like to hire a professional wedding photographer, but I let her know that i also would be glad to take pictures of the event.
Aside from the fun in taking pictures, i am aspiring a professional career and can get some extra experience that way.

However, my question is more equipment related. I was thinking about what to bring on such an occassion, and how to carry it. In my young live i never have attended a wedding before.
I own 2 canon digital slrs, one 1Ds (full format) and one 350d with a focal length multiplicator of 1.6. (I tend to think of that as a built-in fixed teleconverter). Of course i would bring these two, what brings me to the lens question. Here's what i've thought of as useful:

a 50mm 1.4 probably would be suitable for a great lot of situations. If necessary it can be used as a 80mm portrait lens.

I imagine a 70-200mm 2.8 zoom great for getting pictures of cutting the cake or the curious look on that face quite a bit away. Also an ok portrait lens, though big and heavy.

a 17-40 4.0 is a must for the group pictures, though f4 will be a major restraint in many indoor situations.

Unfortunately, when it comes to 35mm, canon offers an f/2.0 which produces rather soft images or an f/1.4, which costs more than a thousand bucks.

I also own a rather big 24-70 2.8, but i tend to think "leave it in the car" due to:

Carrying a shoulder bag which can contain all that stuff simply is not possible in a crowded environment where one has to move that much. The only alternatives I can think of is fixing unused lenses and the flash to my belt, which might look rather stupid while wearing a suit or tuxedo, or mostly leave the bag at the table, which would prevent me from quickly changing a lens. Did anyone have the same problem?

And more importantly: What lens choices come to your mind? What do you think is most useful and suitable?

greetings :D

BTW, I have read the other "Wedding Photog Problem" thread, and I'll keep an eye open; anyway, they didn't even pick a photographer.

I would personally carry a 50mm f1.4 for indoor shooting, a 24-70 f2.8 IS and a 70-200 f2.8 IS with a body on each of the zooms. 70-200 is the most flattering and allows you to shoot better candids.

As you say you need a slightly wide lens to take group shots, but I'd say a 50mm would be ideal - just get further away. With the 24 end of the zoom you will have some barrel distortion at the edges which is noticeable if everyone is standing say in a doorway. That's where the trusty 50 comes in.

Use a bag like a Lowepro reporter which you can flap the top off. Have one camera round your neck and the other in your hands.

Rob

Since this is your first go at something like this, KEEP IT SIMPLE. It looks to me like your best, most versatile option is the 24 - 70 as it will probably be the closest lens you have to the zoom range of your flash if it zooms. The low f stop also gives you more flexabilty when shooting without the flash for instance, window lights of the bride. If you want have more focal length to interchange then do what I do; get a fanny pack to hold your other lens. You don't want to have to worry about keeping track of a camera bag full of gear you won't need. When I shoot a wedding, for small format I use a 24 - 120 2.8 and keep an 80 - 200 2.8 lens in the fanny pack. My flash zoom range goes up to 85mm, but I can bracket to compensate if needed with the 24 - 120 beyond 85mm. For the formals, I shoot medium format, but you can get by with what you have. Good Luck

i'm an amateur photographer and will probably keep it that way, although i am always looking to improve my work. I have shot 3 weddings now for friends and family, all on 35 mm. Having two cameras ready to go with different lenses is a great idea. I did this last time and it was highly beneficial. Things happen very fast and there isn't much time for switching lenses. Your equipment is far superior than mine, i'm sure you will do great. coordinate with the DJ, planner if there is one, or whoever is keeping everyone on schedule. Check out the environment beforehand, and find out if there are any specific shots the bride/groom want outside of the norms. be prepared for anything... extra batteries, memory cards, etc etc :mrgreen:

Having two cameras ready to go with different lenses is a great idea.
ditto.

pick your fav two focal lengths. switch, if needed, for the formals.

Most reactions

Back