Wedding Photography Emergency!!! Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point was simply that the guy did a pretty good job all things considered.

Asking me to post images from my first wedding isn't making the point that *he* did a pretty good job all things considered... that's trying to deflect the attention onto the poor job that I definitely did with my first wedding so the heat can be directed at me and not at him, and he can feel good about the level of work that he did, because someone else's first wedding wasn't very good either. :lol:

If that's what your point is, you would have just said, "Hey, e.rose... I think he did a pretty good job, all things considered." :lol:

That's not how I form my opinions.

If someone asks for critique on something and I have a lot of specific negative feedback to give him, yeah, I may go, "But hey. We all sucked at this once, so keep working at it!" Cause we did all suck at this once. But that's not the general feel I'm getting in this thread, so I've been quiet, because everyone commenting that he did such a fabulous job, and the snarky response from the OP gives me the distinct feeling that we've moved on to head patting, and I'm not into that, nor do I hold that opinion, so... I never gave it.

Everyone is allowed to hold the opinion they have. Like I said, the only opinion that *really* matters at this point in this situation is the bride's, and if she's fine with the images, then great. There's no point in asking for the "naysayers" to come back to pat anyone on the back, or to try to get me to agree that he did a pretty good job all things considered because 1. Just because someone else thinks that, doesn't mean I do and 2. What's the point? :lol:

If you INSIST on me writing something encouraging to him... then fine. Here it is, just like above:

Hey. We all sucked at this once. We all had terrible firsts... "not so good firsts"... "okay" firsts... "could have been better firsts"... Hell, we've all had those kinds of shoots as seconds, thirds, and fourths... Sh*t, I still have those moments NOW, because *I'm* still learning and growing and gaining knew knowledge with each shoot... So keep working at it! With more practice and more knowledge, you'll get better. But as long as no one is coming back to sue you, and the client is happy, that's all that matters right now. Learn from this experience, grow, get better, do better, rinse and repeat.

That good enough for you? :lol:

^^^And if ANY of the above sounds rambling and doesn't make any sense...................... bite me. I just woke up. I'm waiting for Comcast to come between the hours of 8 and 10 to install a business line, and I HAVEN'T HAD MY COFFE YET.

::RAWR::

:lmao: :lol: :sexywink: :hug::

coffee? don't lie, you go straight to the wine.

The ISOs are too low IMO.... if I had known there will be fire, I would have suggested gelling your flashes.

The ISOs are too low IMO.... if I had known there will be fire, I would have suggested gelling your flashes.

Robin, here's a question for you. If you didn't have gels: Set your WB to CTO (e.g. cloudy) and shoot the entire image and process the fire in post, or vice versa?

Robin, here's a question for you. If you didn't have gels: Set your WB to CTO (e.g. cloudy) and shoot the entire image and process the fire in post, or vice versa?

All that's going to do is make the fire that much warmer, so the flash is *still* going to look cool in comparison.

You need the gel to bring the flash up to the same temperature as the fire so everything looks cohesive, if that makes sense.

You need the gel to bring the flash up to the same temperature as the fire so everything looks cohesive, if that makes sense.

Wouldn't the flash melt if I did that?

Wouldn't the flash melt if I did that?

Not if you send me $1,000 for the fire-retardant flash protector device that I have invented!!!!

PM me for my paypal account information....

The wedding can be as informal as it wants to be, but I hope you have a contract.

Because when the MOTB sees the images and potentially decides she hates them (I hope she doesn't, but if she does...), you're gonna be up sh*t creek, because I don't think a verbal statement of "I can't guarantee a single shot" is gonna hold up in court.

This always seems to be the "go to" response; that "you could be sued" approach in case there's no contract.

If there's no contract, anyone who would be a plaintiff hasn't a leg to stand on, simply because they have nothing on which to base their argument. They have nothing from the OP to indicate that they were promised anything. The MOtB cab take the OP to court; sure. Idiotic lawsuits occur every day. But what would she use to show a judge that she had a reasonable expectation?

If "I can't guarantee a single shot" isn't going to hold up, neither will "I expected acceptable results".

The OP isn't the only one without a contract, and that's important to remember.

Contracts work both ways. Most people forget that...

Last edited:
The wedding can be as informal as it wants to be, but I hope you have a contract.

Because when the MOTB sees the images and potentially decides she hates them (I hope she doesn't, but if she does...), you're gonna be up sh*t creek, because I don't think a verbal statement of "I can't guarantee a single shot" is gonna hold up in court.

This always seems to be the "go to" response; that "you could be sued" approach in case there's no contract.

If there's no contract, anyone who would be a plaintiff hasn't a leg to stand on, simply because they have nothing on which to base their argument. They have nothing from the OP to indicate that they were promised anything. The MOtB cab take the OP to court; sure. Idiotic lawsuits occur every day. But what would she use to show a judge that she had a reasonable expectation?

If "I can't guarantee a single shot" isn't going to hold up, neither will "I expected acceptable results".

The OP isn't the only one without a contract, and that's important to remember.

Contracts work both ways. Most people forget that...

No, you're right. It does work both ways.

I guess I was just coming from the perspective of the fact that I would personally rather have one than not. Also, even though the case may be thrown out, it won't necessarily stop someone from attempting to go after you at first, and to me... that is a SUPER stressful situation, I can't even begin to think about trying to deal with, without having an anxiety attack. :lmao:

But then again... there's a reason I stopped doing weddings... The drama my good friend is going through right now with a couple whose wedding we're supposed to be documenting together (I'm second shooting for him) in June is enough to reassure me that decision was in my best interest. :biglaugh:

But you're right. Even if there was no contract and she did go after him, there's no guarantee she'd win.

Naysayers eh?
You asked for opinions.

I was referring to the first page where you jumped in with your worthless two cents. I didn't ask for opinions, I asked suggestions on how to salvage a wedding with some lighting, that was going to be in near black conditions. You, E.Rose, and a couple others do nothing but jump in and basically say it will be a train wreck, not giving helpful suggestions. After I shot the wedding, y'all disappear until I ask where are the "naysayers".

First, thanks for posting results. I can't tell you how many times on photography forums someone has said "what would you advise?" or just "help me with this" and then they disappear in to the night and folks are left wondering...."did we make a difference? how did it turn out?".

Second, you had a very tough shooting environment and you got some good results. Kudos to you.

Well said!!!

I was referring to the first page where you jumped in with your worthless two cents. I didn't ask for opinions, I asked suggestions on how to salvage a wedding with some lighting, that was going to be in near black conditions. You, E.Rose, and a couple others do nothing but jump in and basically say it will be a train wreck, not giving helpful suggestions. After I shot the wedding, y'all disappear until I ask where are the "naysayers".

No, I'm pretty sure I offered some lighting advice. Plus, some of us have other things to do besides hang out at the computer 24 hours a day making sure we immediately comment on your photos.
I give them a C+, giving you extra credit for the conditions.

But if it makes you feel any better , congratulations.

Good job kiddo!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back