Wedding Photography Emergency!!! Please Help!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You, E.Rose, and a couple others do nothing but jump in and basically say it will be a train wreck, not giving helpful suggestions.

Soooo... you're saying you didn't read the post where we (or at least I, I'm too lazy to go back to see what Pix said) *were* giving suggestions and trying to be helpful? Or was it that you just chose to ignore it because we didn't come flying in with pom-poms and a "You got this, kid!" cheer?

After I shot the wedding, y'all disappear until I ask where are the "naysayers".

And you're also wishing we had stayed to give you grief instead of taking a backseat and waiting for results? And then after seeing the results you, again, wanted us to come back and give you grief? Well, gee, that just seems like the very opposite of what most people want when they post images.

I'm happy to acknowledge and take that feedback from you. Next time someone posts images I don't particularly care for, I will be sure to give them all kinds of hell, even though they didn't ask for critique... you know... just to prove I'm still here and all. Because obviously every single opinion that rolls through our heads should be spoken always, no matter whether or not we feel it is appropriate to do so at the time, and no matter the consequences. :roll: :p

It's like you're mad we didn't come running back in here after you posted to attack you.

This place is so backwards anymore...

First we get yelled at for sh*tting on and critiquing newbie work that didn't ask for critique... and now when we're gracious enough to not rip apart work that wasn't asked to be critiqued... we still get in trouble. :biglaugh:

(Ah man... Runnah... I think NOW it's time for that wine. :biglaugh:)

I'm gonna go finish up watching my workshop now, before I have to head into work.

::pats your head:: You have a nice day now. :sillysmi:

As for critiquing my images, critique away. I know there are some images that are soft, underexposed, etc. I am my worst critic and has already critiqued them. I have to work with what I have. If you notice, most of my images, the subjects are not looking at me. This is the type of photographer I am. I am a street/candid/life photographer, not a portrait photographer (something the MotB knew when she asked me to do it). I actually cannot stand taking portraits or any kind of "staged" images. The other photographer took all the "portrait" images, while I stood back and grabbed my shots mostly with the 70-200. The bride and MotB are dumbfounded with the results I came up with. They have actually backtracked and offered to pay me for the images now. I still turned them down. I have a real job that pays nicely. I do photography as a hobby, and the first way to kill a hobby is to start making a job out of it.

Only thing I told them is not to take the images off Flickr and print at Walmart or Walgreens, just use the ones on Flickr for Facebook, etc. I told them I am not completely happy with the results and when they pick images to print, let me know, because I will rework them and print via Adoramapix or CG Pro Prints etc.

No, I'm pretty sure I offered some lighting advice. Plus, some of us have other things to do besides hang out at the computer 24 hours a day making sure we immediately comment on your photos.

OK, I went back and looked, you offered some lighting advice after a paragraph rant of how it was going to be a disaster. I usually just skip over post like this after the first couple sentences.

Then you and (mostly) E.Rose continue to post in this thread, defending yourselves (from other posters) about how you carried yourselves in this thread.

OK, I went back and looked, you offered some lighting advice after a paragraph rant of how it was going to be a disaster. I usually just skip over post like this after the first couple sentences.

Then you and (mostly) E.Rose continue to post in this thread, defending yourselves (from other posters) about how you carried yourselves in this thread.

Again, no, I said it was a "recipe for disaster". I did not say it "would be" a diaster.

Twice now you have made false accusations against me, yet have the nerve to complain about how "I" carried myself in this thread.

Naysayers eh?
You asked for opinions.

I was referring to the first page where you jumped in with your worthless two cents. I didn't ask for opinions, I asked suggestions on how to salvage a wedding with some lighting, that was going to be in near black conditions. You, E.Rose, and a couple others do nothing but jump in and basically say it will be a train wreck, not giving helpful suggestions. After I shot the wedding, y'all disappear until I ask where are the "naysayers".

You'd do well to lose the pissy attitude, Chief.

You're an exception. Experience here has shown us that when people come here and post as you do, 99 times out of 100 it's an unqualified disaster. The fact that you got results as good as you did, seeing as this was your first wedding, may well have been due to nothing more than a stroke of luck. I'm not knocking that; luck can be a damn good thing to run across when you need it.

But don't come back with "Where are the naysayers?" as though you knew all along it would turn out well. Because, if you knew that, you wouldn't have posted in the first place...

Naysayers eh?
You asked for opinions.

I was referring to the first page where you jumped in with your worthless two cents. I didn't ask for opinions, I asked suggestions on how to salvage a wedding with some lighting, that was going to be in near black conditions. You, E.Rose, and a couple others do nothing but jump in and basically say it will be a train wreck, not giving helpful suggestions. After I shot the wedding, y'all disappear until I ask where are the "naysayers".

You're an exception. Experience here has shown us that when people come here and post as you do, 99 times out of 100 it's an unqualified disaster. The fact that you got results as good as you did, seeing as this was your first wedding, may well have been due to nothing more than a stroke of luck. I'm not knocking that; luck can be a damn good thing to run across when you need it.

But don't come back with "Where are the naysayers?" as though you knew all along it would turn out well. Because, if you knew that, you wouldn't have posted in the first place...

i came back with an attitude because of all the naysayers.

Like your mother use to say, if you don't have something nice (or constructive) to say, don't say anything.

The best advice in this thread was from Derrel. He has always show great respect to all members new and old.

This is thread was started because I was asking for advice on how to shoot the wedding, not people's opinions on how I was going to fail miserably!!!

This thread has just about reached epic status.

Seems like some of what's being posted is just telling it like it is; this seemed more like just taking photos for a friend of her daughter's wedding than what might be considered actually shooting your first wedding. Asking the night before wasn't much time for people to offer suggestions or for you to try out ideas you might be given of what could work in this situation. From what I saw it looked like you got some decent enough shots considering the lighting (or lack thereof) but the backgrounds and framing I think could be better.

It seems like you got some photos that your friends are happy with so that seemed to meet their needs. I've been a photographer for years but if someone asked me to do something that I felt was not in my area of expertise I'd probably refer them elsewhere and maybe offer suggestions of where to find someone. Glad it worked out, this type situation seems like it could just as easily have had disastrous results and unhappy friends.

i came back with an attitude because of all the naysayers.

Like your mother use to say, if you don't have something nice (or constructive) to say, don't say anything.

The best advice in this thread was from Derrel. He has always show great respect to all members new and old.

This is thread was started because I was asking for advice on how to shoot the wedding, not people's opinions on how I was going to fail miserably!!!

As I said, there's a long history of wreckage when it comes to someone saying they're about to shoot their first wedding. Those who do so after being a second shooter seem to do pretty good. Those who seem to be going at it with no experience, as you did, fail far more often than they succeed.

As I said, your success could likely be attributed to luck as to anything else. Given the fact that you declared a "wedding emergency", I would submit that luck was, indeed, your friend. Accordingly, it's poor form to come back and accuse others of being "naysayers" as if you knew, all along, that it would be a success.

The fact of the matter is that you didn't...

I'm gonna close this thread on the grounds of an exceptionally poor attitude causing spiraling negativity and hostility, that is just going to wind up as a train wreck.

I bet you $10 the OP "likes" this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back