Wedding Photography Equipment

csabiART

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So what is a MUST to have to photograph a wedding?
What do you guys use?

wow.
well, its usually quite a list, actually.
TWO camera bodies. 6-8 lenses f/2.8 or faster.
about a dozen 16gig class 10 uh1 memory cards.
tripod, monopod, lenswipes, leatherman multitool, tons of spare batteries, softboxes, umbrellas, light stands, flashes, more batteries, bounce cards,
flash bracket, flash sync cord, extra camera batteries, battery chargers, quick release plates, camera bags, backdrop stands, backdrops, more batteries,
laptop.

im sure ive missed some stuff. someone else can flush out the list a little bit.

Ideally two full frame bodies, 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 primes, an f/2.8 or faster telephoto, two speedlights at least, a monolight or two. Black rapid straps or similar (don't use the neck strap that comes with the camera, you'll die), water LOTS OF WATER, and snacks too.

Oh, a second shooter and assistant as well.

Just run faster than the other photographer, so he has to take the job. :lmao:

wow.
tripod, monopod, lenswipes, leatherman multitool, tons of spare batteries, softboxes, umbrellas, light stands, flashes, more batteries, bounce cards,
flash bracket, flash sync cord, extra camera batteries, battery chargers, quick release plates, camera bags, backdrop stands, backdrops, more batteries,
laptop.

im sure ive missed some stuff. someone else can flush out the list a little bit.

6-8 lens are too much for 2 body, I think
example if you are at the church you don't want to waste time to change the lens everytime for a photo.. (no offense, this is just my opinion)
I am thinking about buying the 17-50 f2.8 tamron, and the 70-200 f4 for the another body, what do you think about it?

Ideally two full frame bodies, 35/1.4 and 85/1.4 primes, an f/2.8 or faster telephoto, two speedlights at least, a monolight or two. Black rapid straps or similar (don't use the neck strap that comes with the camera, you'll die), water LOTS OF WATER, and snacks too.

But what if you are alone? and no second shooter and assistant?
Only you, and 2 bodies and a few lenses?
What setup would you use?

My digital camera. No film.......

2 bodies
a second shooter
I carry 8 lenses in my main bag
OCF units-multiple
Pocket Wizards
batteries out the a**
CF cards out the a**
one standard reflector and one super huge rectangle reflector for groups. (I like reflectors)
Gadgets for for OCF-soft box etc
I have an emergency kit for my brides (stain remover, lip gloss, deodorant, valium, etc)
A little tiny cooler with bottled water and other snack stuff.
Light stand.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
wow.
laptop.

example if you are at the church you don't want to waste time to change the lens everytime for a photo.. (no offense, this is just my opinion)
I am thinking about buying the 17-50 f2.8 tamron, and the 70-200 f4 for the another body, what do you think about it?

you asked what were must HAVES. not must USE.
6-8 lenses is definitely NOT too much to bring. what do you do when you bring only 2 lenses, and something changes on location? why would you have to change lenses for every photo? I might use one lens for the ceremony, a different lens for the formal portraits. maybe two lenses for the formals. I might use different lenses for outside shots than inside shots.
if you only bring a minimal amount of gear for what you THINK will be all you will need for that shoot, you are setting yourself up for problems.
I bring EVERYTHING, and USE what I need.

what gets USED the most is my 17-50 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8
if you are going to get a 70-200, get the f/2.8, NOT the f/4. the first time you shoot in a low lit church where you cant use flash you will need the f/2.8

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. It's one thing to be a hobbyist but when you are getting paid, you need to be prepared for the unexpected.

the setup is dependent on the shooting conditions.
without knowing exactly what the shooting environment is like (venue, lighting, and weather conditions) there is no way to tell you what setup we would use.
that's why I bring everything. when I get to the job, i pull out exactly what I will need for current conditions.
there is no magical "works for everything" setup.
closest I guess, would be one camera with a fast wide angle zoom, and another camera with a fast tele-zoom...

are you planning on shooting a wedding?
if so, I would rethink that decision. these are not the kinds of questions someone that has committed to photographing an event like a wedding should be asking.
not a lot of "do-overs" possible at a wedding. its a "sink or swim" deal.

wow.
laptop.

6-8 lenses is definitely NOT too much to bring. what do you do when you bring only 2 lenses, and something changes on location? why would you have to change lenses for every photo? I might use one lens for the ceremony, a different lens for the formal portraits. maybe two lenses for the formals. I might use different lenses for outside shots than inside shots.
if you only bring a minimal amount of gear for what you THINK will be all you will need for that shoot, you are setting yourself up for problems.

if you are going to get a 70-200, get the f/2.8, NOT the f/4. the first time you shoot in a low lit church where you cant use flash you will need the f/2.8

Yeye, sorry my bad, just wanted to know, and what kind of lenses would you bring to the wedding?
Well, I don't have enough money yet for the 2.8 yet, but I don't know what to buy, is it worth the money? or just go buy a tamron/sigma 70-200 f2.8 for a lower price? dunno

the setup is dependent on the shooting conditions.
without knowing exactly what the shooting environment is like (venue, lighting, and weather conditions) there is no way to tell you what setup we would use.
that's why I bring everything. when I get to the job, i pull out exactly what I will need for current conditions.
there is no magical "works for everything" setup.
closest I guess, would be one camera with a fast wide angle zoom, and another camera with a fast tele-zoom...

are you planning on shooting a wedding?
if so, I would rethink that decision. these are not the kinds of questions someone that has committed to photographing an event like a wedding should be asking.
not a lot of "do-overs" possible at a wedding. its a "sink or swim" deal.

nono, i am not planning yet, just I want to know what will I need for that, just to make sure... you know :D

Yeye, sorry my bad, just wanted to know, and what kind of lenses would you bring to the wedding?
Well, I don't have enough money yet for the 2.8 yet, but I don't know what to buy, is it worth the money? or just go buy a tamron/sigma 70-200 f2.8 for a lower price? dunno

lenses?
i bring a 17-50 f/2.8, 28-75 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 180mm f/2.8

nothing wrong with going with tamron or sigma. I would say go with OEM equipment if you have the budget for it, but i have seen plenty of Pro's with top end gear that don't produce any better results than amateurs with cheaper third party gear. dont get hung up on the equipment brands, get hung up on using the gear to its best potential. My 70-200 f/2.8 is tamron and is a great lens. AF is fast, and optics are great. never had an issue with it. my primes are all Nikkor.
you can also look at used or refurb lenses to save some money.

lenses?
i bring a 17-50 f/2.8, 28-75 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 180mm f/2.8

nothing wrong with going with tamron or sigma. I would say go with OEM equipment if you have the budget for it, but i have seen plenty of Pro's with top end gear that don't produce any better results than amateurs with cheaper third party gear. dont get hung up on the equipment brands, get hung up on using the gear to its best potential. My 70-200 f/2.8 is tamron and is a great lens. AF is fast, and optics are great. never had an issue with it. my primes are all Nikkor.

Ye I know that.. thats why I want to know everything and rethink it a lot of times..
Don't you want to upgrade it to the nikkor, or the sigma/tamron is doing very well?
Are you contented with the image quality of your tamron 70-200? by the way does it have IS, right?
Ye I wanna but don't know if it's worth it, because I want to use the lens for a long time.. dunno if it's worth that to buy second hand lenses

lenses?

Ye I know that.. thats why I want to know everything and rethink it a lot of times..
Don't you want to upgrade it to the nikkor, or the sigma/tamron is doing very well?
Are you contented with the image quality of your tamron 70-200? by the way does it have IS, right?
Ye I wanna but don't know if it's worth it, because I want to use the lens for a long time.. dunno if it's worth that to buy second hand lenses

our 70-200 does not have IS.
haven't really needed it. I have been able to shoot plenty slow enough not to need it. eventually i will probably replace it with something with IS and keep this one as a backup. the image quality from our tamrons have been great. I think sometimes its a matter of getting a "good" copy, but i have heard people getting bad copies of Nikon and canon lenses too. If you buy new, you can always test and return it. if your buying used, its buyer beware no matter what brand you get.
some stores like adorama, keh, and B&H offer a return policy on used gear. (14 days i think) long enough to give it a good test run.

I believe for the most part, you could not pick out an OEM -vs- third party lens by looking at the photos they took.
what you get from OEM stuff is typically a better build quality, sometimes better optics (if your pixel peeping on a computer), and better future compatibility.

Most reactions

Back