Wedding Photography Equipment

I believe for the most part, you could not pick out an OEM -vs- third party lens by looking at the photos they took.
what you get from OEM stuff is typically a better build quality, sometimes better optics (if your pixel peeping on a computer), and better future compatibility.
For me, this is the deciding factor; under normal conditions, it is indeed virtually impossible to tell an image shot with a Sigma from one shot with a Tamron from one shot with a first-party lens. If you're going to be using the gear professionally, as in, working it hard, and not always in the best of conditions (Everyone who's had to stand for 45 minutes in the pouring rain waiting for the late bride, raise their hands please...) this is where the extra money spent will pay off. As for buying used, heck ya' it's worth it. Out of my entire stable of lenses, I think I've only bought three brand-new. Again, this is where quality pays off... good gear lasts and wears well.

lenses?
i bring a 17-50 f/2.8, 28-75 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 35mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, 180mm f/2.8

nothing wrong with going with tamron or sigma. I would say go with OEM equipment if you have the budget for it, but i have seen plenty of Pro's with top end gear that don't produce any better results than amateurs with cheaper third party gear. dont get hung up on the equipment brands, get hung up on using the gear to its best potential. My 70-200 f/2.8 is tamron and is a great lens. AF is fast, and optics are great. never had an issue with it. my primes are all Nikkor.
you can also look at used or refurb lenses to save some money.

Ye I know that.. thats why I want to know everything and rethink it a lot of times..
Don't you want to upgrade it to the nikkor, or the sigma/tamron is doing very well?
Are you contented with the image quality of your tamron 70-200? by the way does it have IS, right?
Ye I wanna but don't know if it's worth it, because I want to use the lens for a long time.. dunno if it's worth that to buy second hand lenses

our 70-200 does not have IS.
haven't really needed it. I have been able to shoot plenty slow enough not to need it. eventually i will probably replace it with something with IS and keep this one as a backup. the image quality from our tamrons have been great. I think sometimes its a matter of getting a "good" copy, but i have heard people getting bad copies of Nikon and canon lenses too. If you buy new, you can always test and return it. if your buying used, its buyer beware no matter what brand you get.
some stores like adorama, keh, and B&H offer a return policy on used gear. (14 days i think) long enough to give it a good test run.

I believe for the most part, you could not pick out an OEM -vs- third party lens by looking at the photos they took.
what you get from OEM stuff is typically a better build quality, sometimes better optics (if your pixel peeping on a computer), and better future compatibility.

What is OEM? I don't really know that, never heard that before, is that new or something?

I would defiantly have the best quality 70-200 lens in your tool belt. It is almost a must have in low light churches where flash is not allowed. I have found in my experience that it has been a go-to lens ALOT.

I'm sure I will miss something but let's give it a go...

D3S
D700
Nikon Trilogy 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 2.8s
85 1.8
50 1.8
2 sb-600s
2 sb-800s
SU-800
More batteries and memory cards than I can count, chargers
Cleaning supplies
Pocket wizards
Umbrellas and stands for flashes
Bounce cards, reflectors
Lowepro belt system
Tripod

The list goes on and on...

I'm sure I will miss something but let's give it a go...

D3S
D700
Nikon Trilogy 14-24, 24-70, 70-200 2.8s
85 1.8
50 1.8
2 sb-600s
2 sb-800s
SU-800
More batteries and memory cards than I can count, chargers
Cleaning supplies
Pocket wizards
Umbrellas and stands for flashes
Bounce cards, reflectors
Lowepro belt system
Tripod

The list goes on and on...
I like your quote in your signature. Very fitting for this forum. :)

So what is a MUST to have to photograph a wedding?
What do you guys use?
Intrinsic knowledge of your equipment, lighting and it's use along with the skill set to meet the great demands of capturing those once in a lifetime moments that can not be re-created if you miss it the first time. Also an ability to work with Bridezilla and the bigger and more protective Mommyzilla.

For the people asking about the 70-200mm, I just bought the 70-200mm Tamron 2.8 myself and haven't got much use (picked it up yesterday evening) But so far it look pretty clear&crisp from the few in door pictures I took with just the speedlight.

For the people asking about the 70-200mm, I just bought the 70-200mm Tamron 2.8 myself and haven't got much use (picked it up yesterday evening) But so far it look pretty clear&crisp from the few in door pictures I took with just the speedlight.

I have seen a few tests and the tamron at 200mm vignetting a lot..
[h=1][/h]4:09

Last edited by a moderator:
[...]

Signature: "If you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved."
I like your quote in your signature. Very fitting for this forum. :)
I dont like it that much. It advises to insult people. I rather prefer Frederick Douglass:
A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me.

Oh and btw, this is one of the tamest forums I know when it comes to insults. Not the tamest of all, but very tame.

Interesting what people put as necessity for wedding photography here.

Yes ive never heard so much crap in my life, Keep it as simple as possible 2 bodies 2 lenses and 20 rolls of film and a light meter

Well, some people think using film is crap, but that doesn't make film users opinions invalid.

Im really not seeing any inherent problem with bringing everything, but only using what you find you need. Not all of us have the psychic ability to forsee every exact condition and piece of equipment needed for a job.

Yes ive never heard so much crap in my life, Keep it as simple as possible 2 bodies 2 lenses and 20 rolls of film and a light meter

Well, some people think using film is crap, but that doesn't make film users opinions invalid.

Im really not seeing any inherent problem with bringing everything, but only using what you find you need. Not all of us have the psychic ability to forsee every exact condition and piece of equipment needed for a job.

More gear makes it more confusing and you have to carry it, there is more to keep your eye on more to go missing, last wedding i did for a friend i used 1 M4 28mm, 40mm, and a Mamiya c330 and 80mm

Film is making a big come back in weddings, take a look at this new film and see how good the wedding shots look CineStill Film

More gear makes it more confusing and you have to carry it, there is more to keep your eye on more to go missing, last wedding i did for a friend i used 1 M4 28mm, 40mm, and a Mamiya c330 and 80mm

I never said i drug everything inside the venue. I said i bring it. It sits in the car. I only bring what i need to shoot with inside. I typically only carry the same amount of gear you just listed. On the off chance something changes and i need another piece of equipment, i have it close by. Still better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Most reactions

Back