Wedding Photography - Starting from the Groundup

ddbowdoin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all,

I have read through many threads and posts and this is a great forum full of many knowledgeable people.

I am looking to start a small wedding photography operation. I've always been interested in photography, and feel that I have a pretty solid eye.

I am just wondering what all of you would do / buy if you had to start from the ground up.

1.) what was the process you went through to establish a website?
2.) what equipment did you find absolutely necessary?

I currently have a Nikon D80 w / Nikkor 50mm f1.8, Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

"Get ready, 'cause it's comin'!" - Tony Horton

I don't really have anything to contribute as I am neither a pro nor a business starter/owner, nor am I that great at my hobby of photography. I just wanted to point out that your post makes it sound like you just picked up a camera and decided to start a photography business. "Say it ain't so, Joe!"

I just felt like quoting people. Again, apologies. :)

ddbowdoin, with the economy how it is, there are a lot of people got laid off. Plus there are a lot of stay at home moms who want to earn extra $$ in the weekends. The market is saturated with new photographers shooting with minimal equipment. It is not going to be an easy ride, but it is possible. You will need $$ for equipment, softwares, etc. It will be a lot better too if you are a computer wiz with the digital age. Good luck!

ddbowdoin, with the economy how it is, there are a lot of people got laid off. Plus there are a lot of stay at home moms who want to earn extra $$ in the weekends. The market is saturated with new photographers shooting with minimal equipment. It is not going to be an easy ride, but it is possible. You will need $$ for equipment, softwares, etc. It will be a lot better too if you are a computer wiz with the digital age. Good luck!

I'm pretty confident with PS and am very handy with post-processing software.

This is soo true. equipment and software will set you apart from the others. I have plenty of people in my city who edit with unprofesisonal programs, and have the most entry level camears. Dont get me wrong, you dont need the top of the line equipment, just the know how and confidence. Here in Texas, if you are not confident while presenting to your clients, they will literally walk out on you. I've seen it happen. Get out there and practice, I attended some weddings for friends and family for free, just to gain experience. Plus, being a second shooter

.....I am just wondering what all of you would do / buy if you had to start from the ground up......
  1. Write a business/marketing plan.
  2. Make sure I have a very good technical understanding of how digital photography works, and a good technical understanding of how to produce the products I will be offering to clients.
  3. Make sure I have the business acumen and salesmanship skills necessary for managing, and sustaining a profitable business.

2. Make sure I have a very good technical understanding of how digital photography works, and a good technical understanding of how to produce the products I will be offering to clients.
3. Make sure I have the business acumen and salesmanship skills necessary for managing, and sustaining a profitable business.
Included in this, figure out how you are going to market yourself. Just having a website isn't enough, especially if you are just starting out and don't already have a client base / word of mouth advertising. Figure out how to get your site seen, including getting it a high rank on Google etc.

Included in this, figure out how you are going to market yourself. Just having a website isn't enough, especially if you are just starting out and don't already have a client base / word of mouth advertising. Figure out how to get your site seen, including getting it a high rank on Google etc.

I am in the process or researching the creation of an effective website... then, I am going to try and work my way onto theknot.com which has a great resource feature where people can search for photographers by city... Boston has a few pages, and ALL are very expensive. I understand what people are paying for, but there has to be a % of the constituency who simply cannot afford 5K for photos. I'd like to be there one day, but I will undercut and work for pennies to get my name out there. At the end of the day, I am not looking for a quick buck... I have a full time job, this is something I want to do for pure love, I love sharing images with people who are so accustomed to cell phone quality pictures. I'd love to make money but I am taking baby steps here, I'm not looking for the latest get rich quick scheme... just some honest advice. People had to start somewhere, correct?

.... , but I will undercut and work for pennies to get my name out there....
That is the reason most photography business' fail. ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

if I were posting this under the premise that this venture of mine would constitute 100% of my earned income I may have already checked myself into the loonie house...

I would certainly be a weekend warrior, and if some time down the road the stars alligned... just maybe I could make such an operation full time. But for now, I will hold my full time job in finance.

I am in the process or researching the creation of an effective website... then, I am going to try and work my way onto theknot.com which has a great resource feature where people can search for photographers by city... Boston has a few pages, and ALL are very expensive. I understand what people are paying for, but there has to be a % of the constituency who simply cannot afford 5K for photos. I'd like to be there one day, but I will undercut and work for pennies to get my name out there. At the end of the day, I am not looking for a quick buck... I have a full time job, this is something I want to do for pure love, I love sharing images with people who are so accustomed to cell phone quality pictures. I'd love to make money but I am taking baby steps here, I'm not looking for the latest get rich quick scheme... just some honest advice. People had to start somewhere, correct?

I want to be a surgeon! I've got a real steady hand, and I've found some office space. I even have been trying to work my way onto cutmeopen.com . I know people who simply cannot afford 5K for a real surgeon and equipment, but with the paring knife and sewing kit I bought last week, I should be able to give better service on the cheap than the guy down the street with a piece of broken glass and some duct tape. I don't have any experience, but I should be able to learn on the job...

So, what should I do next to achieve my dream?

LOL!

I want to be a surgeon! I've got a real steady hand, and I've found some office space. I even have been trying to work my way onto cutmeopen.com . I know people who simply cannot afford 5K for a real surgeon and equipment, but with the paring knife and sewing kit I bought last week, I should be able to give better service on the cheap than the guy down the street with a piece of broken glass and some duct tape. I don't have any experience, but I should be able to learn on the job...

LOL!

Gosh, when looked at from that point of view, this newbie wedding photography business doesn't sound so good...

Man, what a buzz-kill you are!

LOL!

your arrogant response is beyond ignorant...

Well, before you go out with a Nikon d80 and think you are going to shoot 4,500 weekend weddings, there are some things to know. and I don't know if all that information can be poured into this thread. If so, it would certainly be an epic one. No, you don't need a degree to shoot a camera, but where you are talking about taking it, you certainly need all of that knowledge.

1. Local workshops and Google are your friend. Online tutorials. Books (Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure, & more).
2. Practice Practice Practice, then some more. Join a photography club.
3. Post your shots here, and we'll critic them.

Once you start walking down this road, you'll know how long of a journey it will be. Don't expect to hit the ground running this wedding season. There is an episode of Judge Brown floating around on the web. There's a lesson there somewhere as well.

As far as gear, d700 or a markii, but you will need 2 of them. Good luck.

Well, before you go out with a Nikon d80 and think you are going to shoot 4,500 weekend weddings, there are some things to know. and I don't know if all that information can be poured into this thread. If so, it would certainly be an epic one. No, you don't need a degree to shoot a camera, but where you are talking about taking it, you certainly need all of that knowledge.

1. Local workshops and Google are your friend. Online tutorials. Books (Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure, & more).
2. Practice Practice Practice, then some more. Join a photography club.
3. Post your shots here, and we'll critic them.

Once you start walking down this road, you'll know how long of a journey it will be. Don't expect to hit the ground running this wedding season. There is an episode of Judge Brown floating around on the web. There's a lesson there somewhere as well.

As far as gear, d700 or a markii, but you will need 2 of them. Good luck.

I'll have to post up some shots tonight, I have a feeling I came across as someone who just went to best buy and bought a camera this past weekend... that is not the case.

Most reactions

Back