wedding photography... what do you recommend

This topic always gets the "refer them to a professional" response which I feel is kind of lame. You know your abilities, just don't be stupid about it or build expectations that aren't realistic.

I'd use a prime lens or a 2.8 lens to do the shoot and then plan out the shots / location. Even if that means sketching them out on paper. Ask the couple if there are any specific shots / poses they want then just have at it.

I think you can get decent shots if you stick to the composition basics.

This is perhaps an uninformed response (because I've never even participated in an engagement shoot), but why not just schedule it long enough in advance of the wedding so that they can look at the photos and, if they don't like them, schedule a session with a pro to replace them? Unlike a wedding, an engagement shoot can be re-done -- it's not a once in a lifetime shot. Just tell them that you're new at this and that you absolutely, positively won't be offended if they don't like the shots (and mean it)-- that YOU might not like what turns out for that matter, and are just learning. Tell them that you can't guarantee anything -- and that they should schedule the shoot in time so that anything (e.g. invitations, announcements, etc.) that might depend on these photographs won't be held up if they have to bring in another photographer.

(And, if it was me, I'd also say that if the pictures don't come out and they have to have them redone, I wouldn't accept payment...because they're relatives and I'm an amateur learning from the experience...)

That way no matter what happens no one has any reason to be upset -- if it turns out great...fantastic. If it goes pear-shaped, then you hopefully learned some techniques, they got to spend some time with a relative, and the pro they then hire will do a (hopefully) great job.

This topic always gets the "refer them to a professional" response which I feel is kind of lame.

And that would be the response of someone that is inexperienced and that is very lame.

Though engagement parties may or may not be as important as weddings, they are a ONCE in a lifetime event, and if you are not very certain as to what you are doing, your results will be less than stellar compared to that pro.

I am a firm believer that in this scenario, you get your money's worth.

Until you shoot a wedding or ghost a pro at a wedding you won't have a clue as to what is really involved. Small example... the photographer that I ghosted loses on average 5 pounds of weight on the day of the wedding (the guy is 6 foot and weights 180). That comes from a lot of running around, and in terms of preparedness, this guy is READY. His basic checklist is over 200 things and that doesn't even include another little booklet of all the pre-defined shots that NEED to be taken to assure client satisfaction.

It is lame to think that a neophyte can give results equal to that of a professional, especially when that choice was made from "some of my photos online".

I have nothing against any amateur doing parties or weddings, I've done it myself... but expectations need to be realistic and if they are not, that is going to make for one REALLY disappointed or annoyed group of relatives.

haha, this is awesome. Thanks a lot for all your answers. Thanks for the advice those that gave some, and thanks for the harsh and killing critiques those who gave them... I think everything helps.

I just emailed this relative and told her everything, about no guarantees, expectations, etc. If they do not get discouraged with all the negative stuff and possible consequences then I'll do the Engagement Session. It seems that I gave them all reasons not to do it, so if they decide to do it, well, it's their choice...

any tips on learning about posing? Any links on this?

thanks a lot!

I gave you links to 2 flickr groups that should give you hundreds of posing options, way more than you will ever have time for.

In general, you will be fine if expectations are set and the biggest limitations you will bump into are things like lighting issues at the location and how to get "X" number of people into a pic without making them look underexposed, blurred due to shallow DOF, etc...

A couple of strategically placed off-camera flashes does make a big difference.

This topic always gets the "refer them to a professional" response which I feel is kind of lame. You know your abilities, just don't be stupid about it or build expectations that aren't realistic.

I'd use a prime lens or a 2.8 lens to do the shoot and then plan out the shots / location. Even if that means sketching them out on paper. Ask the couple if there are any specific shots / poses they want then just have at it.

This happens because there are quite a few professional wedding photographers on here who understand that a wedding is not as easy thing to shoot as some people might say. Most wedding photographers worked side-by-side with someone for a good while before they even tripped a shutter on their own let alone shot their own wedding. So honestly I think it is the right response from people who have spent many years honing a craft that some people think they can just jump into and do just like them because "how hard can it be" right.

It's an engagement session you are doing!

Many are missing this fact and jumping in with both feet. So what if you get it wrong..... If you do (which you probably won't), they can always get this done again with only a couple of hours of their time wasted. Just make sure that you don't take money unless they are happy with the images.

Enjoy it and learn from it and look at many of the images of engagement sessions here to get posing ideas.

My stepson asked me to do the same, and refused to take no for an answer. I relented when I realized his worthless, abandoning, uneducated, drunken, cheap-a$$ old man will be there, and this will give me a reason to stay busy and not beat him to death with a stick, an activity which might be considered rude during a wedding ceremony. Hey: whatever it takes.

I found a photographer near here who shoots a 30D - I have a 40D - he shot my nephew's wedding. His stuff was stunning and unique. I asked him if I could be his free flunky for a day; carry the gear, clean stuff, help with setups. His answer was HELL yes - free help is impossible to find.

He's got 4 events coming up starting in April. By then I should have my flashes and remote, and will have some practice under my belt.

Along with a lot of folks here, my advice is "DON'T DO IT!!!" Of course, who am I to talk, right?

And most importantly: I used to shoot automotive and racing. I saw the work inexperienced folks did. It was like a photographic autopsy...

...And weddings are ten times as hard as what I did.

Good luck!

if your taking them out one afternoon to take their portraits thats fine ,

your not ruining any potential thing except a few hours. They can still always get it done professionally if they dont like the shots, as long as you do it in enough advance to they have that option and time doesnt run out.

But the wedding itself is really a horse of a different color.

If its a choice of you vs nobody your not doing anything to feel bad about, give it your best, and learn.

BUt

if you get the vibe they are just doing it to save money and they dont value the pictures at all, youll prob run into trouble, suddenly youll be to blame cause the pictures dont look like they do from a 5K wedding. trust me it happens all the time, just make sure you communicate all this upfront.

This happens because there are quite a few professional wedding photographers on here who understand that a wedding is not as easy thing to shoot as some people might say. Most wedding photographers worked side-by-side with someone for a good while before they even tripped a shutter on their own let alone shot their own wedding. So honestly I think it is the right response from people who have spent many years honing a craft that some people think they can just jump into and do just like them because "how hard can it be" right.

I agree with what you're saying, the difference is he isn't talking about shooting a wedding.

And that would be the response of someone that is inexperienced and that is very lame.

Quite an intelligent and mature response. Not sure why you're on your soapbox about weddings. Neither the OP or myself mentioned an amateur shooting a wedding.

Quite an intelligent and mature response.

... in response to his calling pro wedding pro photographers lame, I thought it appropriate. It seems though that he understood how I meant it (based on his attitude and respose), and I bet he will do just fine. Calling me out on that... that makes you what, 25 years old or so? I would guess that just based on the attitude of your response (a little lack of maturity is showing on your end, my friend!).

Until YOU do a professional wedding, I do not think you understand it either... even if all he is doing *is* an engagement party. For the people involved I am sure it holds much importance... perhaps to some as much as the wedding.

i shoot alot of little leauge games and birthday parties, and ive had people ask me to shoot weddings before. i politely told them no.
1- i would be terrified of not getting good pics, haha.
2-I would feel too awkward
3-I would feel as if my flash was distracting from the wedding.

... in response to his calling pro wedding pro photographers lame...

...Until YOU do a professional wedding, I do not think you understand it either... even if all he is doing *is* an engagement party. For the people involved I am sure it holds much importance... perhaps to some as much as the wedding.

Ok this will be my last response on this so I'm not wasting others (including myself) time.

If you read my first response I said that the "just say no" response is lame... I never said professional photogs are lame. I welcome discussions / arguments about my views and opinions but you're arguing points that I have not made. I've also shot weddings so I wouldn't be so quick to assume you know more than me. We all know what happens when you assume.

My point is this. Everyone couple has different priorities, some want to spend the money to get pro results... some would rather save it and only get a handful of good shots. If you're an amatuer and approached by a couple that feels more towards the latter I see nothing wrong with taking on the challenge as long as you're honest with them about what you feel the results will be.

Until YOU do a professional wedding, I do not think you understand it either... even if all he is doing *is* an engagement party. For the people involved I am sure it holds much importance... perhaps to some as much as the wedding.

Ok, but...it's not even an engagement "party." Just a photo shoot to commemorate the engagement. No guests, no food, no honeymoon to get to - just a staged photo shoot (likely in a park somewhere). It's not once-in-a-lifetime...heck, it can be "twice-in-a-weekend" if needed. If it works out, everyone's happy. If it goes badly (and if you were upfront about the possibility that it could), then all anyone has lost is an afternoon -- you can do the whole thing again the next weekend with a pro.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back