Wedding Photography Workshops

psychobo1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I'm an amateur/advanced photographer who really wants to get into shooting weddings. Yes, I know the hard work that is needed from me and I know it's not an easy road. But I am willing to learn and train to get better and better. But as of now I have nowhere to look. I know a few people connected to wedding photographers but obviously they probably wouldn't have too much time to spend with a person like me.

So my question to you guys is do you know any great workshops that could help me learn and boost up some knowledge and experience shooting weddings or at least wedding-like pictures? The only one I know of is held by Amelia Lyon because they were my sister's photographers and I saw a few workshops here and there before.

Any help would be awesome! Thanks :mrgreen:

hi! welcome to the forum. i might not be a ton of help to you because i'm not a pro, i'm pretty much in the same boat you are. where are you located? it might be easier to get suggestions about workshops if we know where you're at. sometimes community colleges will even offer courses or seminars about wedding photography.

don't count out the idea of talking to/working with a pro in your area. a lot of times to start you might just be carrying gear/getting coffee/etc but at least it's experience. it never hurts to ask.
and in the meantime, you can always read read read. this forum is a great source of info.
good luck! :sillysmi:

Learn everything you can about photography, light, and using strobed light, because wedding photographers have to know most of it.

A wedding photographer also has to be very familiar with all the features and capabilities of their camera/lens(s) and lighting equipment.

First and foremost, a wedding photographer has to be a knowledgeable business/marketing/sales person and must be able to work well with a wide variety of people.

So while you're checking out the community college offerings be sure and look at the business, psychology, and art courses too.

Thanks for the input guys! But I'm still hoping to find workshops (preferably in california, or maybe even overseas).

Look into WPPI in Las Vegas. It's a whole week of trade shows, clinics, seminars and other junk specifically for wedding and portrait photogs. Just missed it though. Look for it next spring.

weddings photography. ok. here we go again... DONT DO IT!
Ever watch court shows on TV? People sue wedding photogs left and right. Yes, do call photogs, and ask how many times they've been sued.

A) There is no money in it as no one ever comes back for 2nd prints. Thus, what's the point of storing negatives, and now CD/DVDs of photos? In fact, how long do photogs store photos? 20 years? Nope, I bet 2 months at most.

B) You might get sick, be arrested, or grandpa or mom could die, and if you dont make it, then you'll never hear the end of it. Yes, you'll refund the deposit and as per your contract you are not liable for anything else... but trust me, they'll make your life as miserable as they can.

C) Cancelation rate is too high to even bother. It's what about 25%.
My cousin's dad just gave a deposit to a hall, bride got second thoughts and ran off, hall refuses to refund $1500. Add to that cost of rings, deposit to photog, bride's and maids' dresses, groom's and friends' suits, guests' clothing, plus time for fittings and alterations, limo, and relatives' airplane and hotel bookings which are now pointless, etc.
Now everyone is mad and pointing fingers at each other looking whom to blame and how to get their $$$ back. Good luck in suing the hall, photog, limo to get $$$ back if contract states deposit is non-refundable.

Ever watch court shows on TV? People sue wedding photogs left and right. Yes, do call photogs, and ask how many times they've been sued.

A) There is no money in it as no one ever comes back for 2nd prints. Thus, what's the point of storing negatives, and now CD/DVDs of photos? In fact, how long do photogs store photos? 20 years? Nope, I bet 2 months at most.

B) You might get sick, be arrested, or grandpa or mom could die, and if you dont make it, then you'll never hear the end of it. Yes, you'll refund the deposit and as per your contract you are not liable for anything else... but trust me, they'll make your life as miserable as they can.

My cousin's dad just gave a deposit to a hall, bride got second thoughts and ran off, hall refuses to refund $1500. Add to that cost of rings, deposit to photog, bride's and maids' dresses, groom's and friends' suits, guests' clothing, plus time for fittings and alterations, limo, and relatives' airplane and hotel bookings which are now pointless, etc.
Now everyone is mad and pointing fingers at each other looking whom to blame and how to get their $$$ back. Good luck in suing the hall, photog, limo to get $$$ back if contract states deposit is non-refundable.

Don't let his bum get you down. Wedding photography is worth every bit of the effort it takes! It's so awesome to not only see people on the happiest day of their lives... but to capture it for them FOREVER! I've only been doing weddings for 2 years but I'm so in love with it. I have never had any issue at all with people being displeased. Just make sure you have an appropriate wedding contract that covers your butt. Have other shooters that you could get to step in in case of an emergency. Require a non refundable deposit and then who cares if it gets canceled?? I also highly suggest finding yourself a reliable second shooter. It's difficult to capture EVERYTHING if you can only be in one place at a time.
More than anything put your heart and soul into it! Have fun and best of luck to you!

<3
Tressa

2nd WPPI. David Ziser of prophototalk also puts on a great workshop every now and then. He has videos from his last years workshop available on his site right now.

This advice is ridiculous. Don't be a moron, and you won't get sued. Plus, if you're charging money for weddings, you should be insured for liability and errors & omissions. If you're that worried, have the insurance and operate as an LLC to protect your personal assets. I know a ton of working photographers in my area, none of them have been sued.

My advice is to closely follow the work of the wedding photographers you admire, and wait until they open up seats for a workshop. There's plenty of them doing it nowadays, but you should choose one who has a solid business going, and they shoot in a style you like. As mentioned above, WPPI is also a good source, but there is a lot of crap mixed in there too.

thanks for everyones input guys! even for yours romphotog! i can't always try to see the best side of things and that helped me understand what else id need to prepare for.

and Sherman Banks ill take your advice in following the people i enjoy and like. i guess ill wait for the photographer i like to hold another workshop.

and what exactly is WPPI? as in what exactly happens there? would i be learning things? or is it more of an opportunity to take pictures than learn from professionals?

thanks again!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back