Wedding Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the good stuff has already been said, but good luck with your Grannies wedding.

I think this situation is a little different from the typical "I'm shooting a wedding tomorrow, what do I do" type post. Firstly, it's his grandmother and he seems to have the right attitude about it.

I can not agree with Mike more. This is someone with great intentions looking for advice that will help him. It's easy to say, "Just do a search", great help guys.

Yes the 50mm f/1.8 lens is a great deal for the money. But if you really want to supprise your grandmother, as a gift, you can rent much better equipment that will yeild fantastic results.

Try: BorrowLenses.com - Camera Rental and Canon/Nikon Lens Rental

There is no deposit and you will be able to get a faster (larger aperture lens) with better quality optics for little money.

You are used to your camera, so I say stick with it. Shoot in RAW, no exceptions. You won't have to worry about WB (white balance) you can change this later.

I would rent two great lenses and you will see your best results. No, these better lenses will not make you a world famous photographer, but shooting in a church is tricky business. Give youself the best tools possible.

When you rent you select 1 week for the rental period. I would get the following:

EF 24-105mm f/4L IS 1 Week - $49
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II 1 Week - $60
EF 70-200mm f/208L IS 1 Week - $64
Speedlite 580 EX II Flash 1 Week - $35

Plus shipping on all, your total might be $250. You could see if your parents want to chip in as part of a gift to ease the cost.

Either way, this equipment is a great start to wonderful photographs. Yes, you can rent faster lenses than those listed, but focusing may be difficult for you at those wide apertures.

Also, you camera's AF (auto focus) system is slow. So, this is my recomended list.

Good luck, but most importantly, have fun. Get lost in the day and it will show in your photographs. You are part of a very special day, shoot what you see. Shoot what makes you feel this day is so special.

Lastly, be careful on using the flash in the church. This is usually a no-no, yet they might make an exception. It still is distracting. I would save the flash for formals and for the reception.

-Nick ;)

I can not agree with Mike more. This is someone with great intentions looking for advice that will help him. It's easy to say, "Just do a search", great help guys.

You don't get it, do you? Good intentions and a 50mm anything are not going to give her what she deserves... a photographer with knowledge.

Nothing I say will change anything, so this was my last post in this thread. :)

Can you go to the church several days before and take some test shots and see how the lighting works in various locations? Maybe with a human guinea pig or two? I'm no event photographer, but it seems like a dry run might be very useful in this case.

If you were acting as a professional you might merit the "fireworks" that typically ensue in this sort of thread, but since you are going into this as a family member who happens to take decent photos, then I don't see anything wrong with that. I hope no one flames you for helping your grandmother out on her special day - I'm assuming she expects good amateur shots and not impeccable pro shots and that you are fully capable of giving her what she expects. And if you exceed her expectations, then that will be a wonderful wedding gift to her. Good luck, and please post some of the finished product if they turn out well.

You don't get it, do you? Good intentions and a 50mm anything are not going to give her what she deserves... a photographer with knowledge.

You could always volunteer to come shoot it.:thumbup:

Not every person getting married wants pro looking shots. There are people out there where having someone close to them take the pictures means more than having outstanding shots...and this guy may take awesome shots..

I look back at my parents wedding album, from 73 and pictures are low quality, due to film/printing etc, but they don't complain...

I think wedding photography can be a bit overrated at times..Yes it is great to have wonderful pictures, but there are a lot of people who are happy with normal snapshot type pictures....

i stand with Jerry on this one... the reason is, I had a family member shoot MY wedding, (this was 5 years before I started taking photography seriously) so I knew nothing about it, and thought it was a great idea.

YES, your parents and grandparents, and most people out there who didnt hire a professional may be happy with their photos, but that doesnt always happen... my wife loves our wedding photos, but I hate them, (strong word) i just look at them and see how much better they could have been if we had someone with experience and know how...

i was at a wedding last year (as a friend not a shooter) and they had a friend shoot the wedding for them, I was asked to tag along to take pictures to... guess whose pictures are in a book, and guess whose are on the wall at their house... the "hired friend" who had a much nicer camera then me.. all her pictures are in the book, and they look like crap, they are over exposed, and not very good... my pictures, (the guy who has been shooting weddings for a while now, who understands light for the most part, and who knows how to take pictures) pictures are on the wall at their house... why, because they are better, because I know what i'm doing... the hired friend didn't... because she had never shot wedding before, it was one of those "oh, shes got a nice camera, she can get us some good pictures" moments

that is all i will say...

Last edited:

Just stay out of these threads. YOU are not ALWAYS right. Do you know what that sound is? It's the sound of the world NOT coming to an end because someone's wedding was not shot by a photographer who is in your opinion good enough. Who are you to chime in on EVERY one of these threads. Give it up. Put the energy you waste crapping all over these threads into actual work. God forbid you go out and shoot and contribute photos or give helpful advice from your clearly expansive wealth of knowledge about photography. When someone asks for advice based on what they are capable of with the equipment they have, that is what they are looking for. They are not looking for someone with the most lack luster portrait I have ever seen for an avatar to tell them that they are not worthy no matter what. Did this poster say they are charging money or doing this as a career? NO. Do you shoot weddings for a living or are you a kinda sorta amateur that moonlights as a computer consultant? You don't get it, do you? You aren't a professional photographer, you don't have a lofty and enlightened opinion. You're just some guy on the internet with a D200 and a 18-200mm VR who likes to tell everyone else how stupid they are. I don't care if you've been someones pack mule for 3 weddings, you don't know what you are talking about and you frequently misunderstand people while remaining completely unapologetic for your own ignorance. Leave the newbs alone. You seriously give this forum a bad name every time you reply to these threads. Lighten up.

Forget it, I should just stick to the film discussions myself. If you have a question about a Bronica ETSRi, at least people don't chastise you for not going 4x5.

^^^^ someones in a mood

Come on Chris. I hear what you are saying, both you and Jerry. But realize this is a grandmother asking her grandchild. We could sit back and say, too bad, so sad. But that's really not you.

You had someone take pictures at your wedding and you hate them. What if they tried to reach out and actually received good advise before your wedding? Would they be professional, no but they might be better.

I just have to agree again, strongly, with Mike on this one. This is not another I have a point and shoot but I think I am going to start shooting weddings. This is someone asking nicely no less, for help.

I did a search just to see what I would get. You know what came up? More of the same crap in this post. You should do a search. You shouldn't be shooting weddings. You suck and should die. O.K., maybe not that last one exactly, but you get the idea.

Why so negative? Why not try to help. These are not people who say they are better than others. These are people saying, can you help me? And the right response is to spit in their face? Come on.

It took me all of five minutes to write a constructive response. Now Justin may find my advice unhelpful. I can live with that. But it sure is better than making Justin feel like an asshole. More importantly, responses like some posted here make us all look like elitists, stuck-up asses.

Besides, maybe someone else could benefit. Oh, we have already had a post like this one. Sure we have, but how many posts have we see a request for cc and all they get is, I like it, that's nice, cute kid. Is this different?

Look, not looking for an argument, I like 99.9% of the people I've met on this forum, including you and Jerry. But I just find it's easier and better to help rather than turning my cheek and being an ass.

-Nick

Come on Chris. I hear what you are saying, both you and Jerry. But realize this is a grandmother asking her grandchild. We could sit back and say, too bad, so sad. But that's really not you.

You had someone take pictures at your wedding and you hate them. What if they tried to reach out and actually received good advise before your wedding? Would they be professional, no but they might be better.

I just have to agree again, strongly, with Mike on this one. This is not another I have a point and shoot but I think I am going to start shooting weddings. This is someone asking nicely no less, for help.

I did a search just to see what I would get. You know what came up? More of the same crap in this post. You should do a search. You shouldn't be shooting weddings. You suck and should die. O.K., maybe not that last one exactly, but you get the idea.

Why so negative? Why not try to help. These are not people who say they are better than others. These are people saying, can you help me? And the right response is to spit in their face? Come on.

It took me all of five minutes to write a constructive response. Now Justin may find my advice unhelpful. I can live with that. But it sure is better than making Justin feel like an asshole. More importantly, responses like some posted here make us all look like elitists, stuck-up asses.

Besides, maybe someone else could benefit. Oh, we have already had a post like this one. Sure we have, but how many posts have we see a request for cc and all they get is, I like it, that's nice, cute kid. Is this different?

Look, not looking for an argument, I like 99.9% of the people I've met on this forum, including you and Jerry. But I just find it's easier and better to help rather than turning my cheek and being an ass.

-Nick

I totaly agree I am a newb and I was also asked to shoot a wedding for family but because of all the negative responses on here I refuse to ask for any tip's or help and I will just ask locally. Im in the same boat justin im learning as well I hope your shoot goes good for you and make your grandmother proud. What is funny is I bet these guy's were the same way when they were still learning and now that they know more than sombody all they do is bash on people asking for help.

I am not a pro or anything and I do not think I can offer much help in Wedding photo advice.

In general, I agree with others regarding the fast lens and a good flash as well as practice at the location before the wedding.

And I noticed there are some books at the book store that talk about wedding photography. Maybe you can stop by your local book store (or library) and see if those books help.

Personally, I believe wedding photos are not all about beautiful, well composed ... photographs. In some case, event capture may also be very important.

I remember I read from this forum long time ago, someone mentioned about using the disposable camera for the wedding photos. Most of the guests at the wedding will be given a disposable camera and they can take any photos with the camera they want. At the end, the couple will collect all of them and get the pictures developed. I am sure a lot of memories in those cameras.

I do not mean the disposable camera way is better, what I try to say is different people have different needs. Pro gears, Pro knowledge with Professional Photographer not necessary equal to Wedding Photo Solutions.

Personally, I believe wedding photos are not all about beautiful, well composed ... photographs. I

your post was so great, right up until you said this.... this shows me that you have no passion for your art, no care for quality... you just want to take pictures of everything and anything without thinking about...

i hope either your attitude towards photography changes, or you never get asked to take pictures for commission.

Thread Closed. I'm disappointed with the turn this thread took. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back