Status
Not open for further replies.

Peakapot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

I am interested in doing some wedding photography. I wouldn't have the confidence to attempt a wedding myself as I am no where near experienced enough. I would how ever like to volunteer to help someone out for free. Would you say this is a good way to gain experience or is there another way?

Peakapot

I am in a phase right now that I want to get to the wedding scene.
I think too many people think that the fact they just bought a Nikon D3100 or Canon t3i puts them on a fast track to become successful wedding/portrait shooters.
Camera, lenses, flashes and more are tools and the true magic is in the users skills, getting these skills takes time and of course equipment too.

This was a general statement and not connected to OP at all, so do I think volunteering to shoot in a wedding is the only way to get into the wedding photography scene...............
Well if you have learned the basics and know what you are doing then yes, I am volunteering in weddings at the moment, there is a good chance to work and practice all that I know and build up my confidence.
From a practical point of view I know I could do a wedding by my own but I dont rush into this, I want to build up my experience and more importantly my confidence, I dont feel ready and am taking my time.

I would also like to add that if you dont know a photographer that is willing to take you as a second shooter then dont think you will have a bunch of photographers waiting to take you to help them in a wedding even for free, in a wedding no one has the time to hold you hand and explain what to do so it will not be easy to find somebody willing to take you.

Good luck.

Hi there,

I am interested in doing some wedding photography. I wouldn't have the confidence to attempt a wedding myself as I am no where near experienced enough. I would how ever like to volunteer to help someone out for free. Would you say this is a good way to gain experience or is there another way?

Peakapot

That is, in my opinion, the best way to learn the business. Contact some of the local photographers and offer to help them out. Whether that means just carrying gear or being a VAL (voice activated light stand) for the first few times. Trading your time for experience and lessons to find out if wedding photography is really for you.

Good luck.

Both points are really helpful. I think ill contact a few photographers around me and offer to carry their stuff. Cheers

Networking should be your primary occupation right now. Yes, you can spring the offer of help out of the blue, but until the pro gets to know you , and know what you know, he is going to be very reluctant to let you anywhere near his gear/clients/business.

Call them. All of them in your area. Some even too far away.

Ask for a personal meeting. (could be hinted at being a job interview, but mainly you will be attempting to find out if they will be a good match for you.)

Look at everyone's portfolio. There's no point in hitching onto someone who cannot improve your own skills/artistic vision.

Ask if you can observe them at work. This is where you offer to help carry gear, watch over it while the pro visits the RR, run to fetch something from the gear bag, snag that piece of debris from the floor right in front of the formal shots (without being asked), help carry stuff back to the car, (being oh so careful!) and always always always refer questions back to the pro.

If the pro sees that you might be of some help in this business, he may offer you an entry-level position. (a go-fer) Or if you have a fairly decent portfolio of your own, he may offer you the second shooter job.

(edit) One more thing: The reason why you want to be compatible is because I think you should look at this as a long-term relationship. The last thing a wedding pro needs is someone who bleeds him of all his knowledge and then hangs out his own shingle in the same town.

Last edited:
...Look at everyone's portfolio. There's no point in hitching onto someone who cannot improve your own skills/artistic vision...
Sound advice, but first, be sure your own house is in order. If you don't have a good, strong portfolio yourself, then you're unlikely to draw much interest. If you're not already there, work toward a thorough understanding of the technical aspects, and at least a basic, if not intermediate understanding of lighting. No professional is going to want to take one someone to whom he has to spend time teaching the basics; just like a mechanic. Before you start your apprenticship, you go to school to learn the basics & theory...

All good advice. I am not looking to work as a professional photographer as i already have a career. Im looking to expand my hobby into weddings. I think I have a good understanding of the basics. Last week i was asked to film a boxing event. I done this for free as it was something i hadn't done before. I then edited the clips together and made a nice little DVD with all the transitions and boxer information appearing at the start of each fight. A nice little project which i learned a lot on. On this evening there were two professional photographers. Both had better cameras than me and they both had very expensive lenses (looked similar to a Canon EF 300mm F/2.8 II EF IS L USM Lens). I chatted away with them showing them my kit and asking general questions and getting advice. When the boxing began i quizzed them on the setting they were using. I had already thought that in that situation i would use a fast shutter speed to make sure the boxers were sharp, a wide aperture to help with the low light in the room and blur out the crowd behind them and then i would use my ISO to get my exposure correct. I spoke to the photographer and she replied exactly that. I asked what ISO she was at and she replied 64000. My first comment was about the noise that would cause in the pictures and she said she would sort it in post editing. I have since seen the photos are i was shocked at the quality. I honestly think i could have done a better job and these were paid professionals. The photos are very grainy. My greatest weakness at the moment is i have no experience post editing and iv not yet took the leap to Photoshop. I use gimp 2.8 and self teaching in it is difficult.

Long story short i think i have a good fundamental understanding haha

Not sure where you're at but I do take on assistants once in a while. I'm in So Cal. :D

You can join a local Facebook group and network with other photographers. :)

Goes both ways. I'm getting to the point to where I'm looking for an assistant for weddings and got pretty much 0 bites putting it one on Facebook.

Thank you very much for the offer Vtec. Unfortunately I'm in Dorest, England, UK. How ever if you pay my flights I'll happily come out and help you. Hahaha.

Where are you Village Idiot?

Peakapot

Hi)) As a beginner photographer, it was very difficult for me to find a photographer for my own wedding. My husband and I went through a lot of options... But we were lucky to find a great wedding photographer. I was very pleased with the quality of the photos

Значок Проверено сообществом

Zombie thread. Eight years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back