wedding picture help

officersdr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will be shooting 2 family weddings this summer for free. Both are small and will held in a backyard type setting. I just bought a new Sony alpha A 100 DSLR with the 18-70mm & 75-300mm lenses and I also have a 28-80mm from my minolta 35mm SLR I can use.

Now I would like peoplpe to post all types of wedding shots they have done.....what works, what doesn't, creative shots, flower girl shots, candids, formals....I NEED AS MANY PICTURES AS POSSIBLE. This is so I can figure out what shots I want to do.

I also would like any suggestions on how to practice these shots. I have a wife and 2 kids I can use for practice. I'm very new to this, so any help would be great.

Believe me if you search this topic for "wedding" you will find more wedding photos than you can digest before summer is over :)

Creative photos should not be too creative to loose the theme of togetherness and happyness. For instance some good creative shots I have liked are those of the rings, and wine glasses. But some that I don't like quite as much are when people get creative during the preparations. They look a bit lonely at times.

Also softfocusing either via a lens filter or in post processing works well depending on the lighting.

I hate to bang on about this subject but it might be an idea to buy or rent some better equipment - like a second body (what if yours stops working), fast prime and a decent flash.

As Garbz says, there's a lot of images all over the web with weddings. Look at the images and poses you like and speak to the couples and ask what they like and use that as a basis.

But most of all, to do it competently you really need fast lenses, decent flash and some backup gear + lots of memory :)

JD

I'm new to photography, but I've done a couple of weddings for my close friends. I have found the candid shots meant more to them. Especially of everyone getting ready for the wedding. And the most classic if you can get it at all. Once the dress is on get the mother either putting on the veil or adjusting it. It makes for a beautiful and priceless shot. But definitely make sure you could some posed of the bridal party and families. I hope that helps a little! :D

Thanks fo the replies....The pics are good ideas. I'll be checking the internet tonight for poses and ideas.

I too like candids but noit the style of smiley. THey are alkl blasted with flash and have no atmosphere.

here's a couple of candids from my first wedding.

B_W-Favourite.jpg

Wedding_Dee_Ann068.jpg

One from a more recent wedding.

MG_2006.jpg

And here are just a few of the candid shots I did from one of them. Remember I'm a beginner and this was actually my first attempt at a wedding. Hopefully it will give you some ideas though. :)

When shooting candids at a wedding you'll have noticed it's tough. Slower lenses require more flash power which means you lose that atmosphere that is created.

I'd say you need to work more on composition first though. Your images all look like snap shots. Get closer, don't compose with the subject in the centre of the frame and watch your exposures.

Don';t mean to be rude when I say they look like snaps. It takes a bit of learning to get better at taking portraits and you've started on the long rocky road :)

Wishing you well
JD

for the most part they are snap shots because I was using a Kodak point & shoot.....NOW I have a DSLR ( sony alpha 100 ). I expect the pics to be better just due to the equipment upgrade, but I am brand new to this so I expect a big learning curve.

I have always preferred a tight shot for most of my pics, but I have to discuss what my sister prefers. I am practicing with my wife and kids to get better pictures, but she realizes that I have never done this before yet she really likes the pics I have taken, so hopefully I can give her a more professional quality pic.

Do you guys have to do alot of editing after or are most pics as is from the camera?? What len would you use the most?? I have a 18-70mm, 28-80mm ( from my minolta 35mm ) & 75-300mm

You need faster lenses than those.

I use the following at a weddig (cost will frighten you)

2 bodies (a must if you are shooting a wedding - you need backup equipment in case of failure - this is a one off event)

I use 20D and a 350D (Rebel XT) - saving for a 1D Mk II N

Fast Primes & Macro
50mm f1.4
85mm f1.8
100mm f2.8 Macro

Zooms
10-22 f3.5-4.5
24-105 f4L IS
70-200 f2.8L IS

2 x flash guns, lots of memory, an Epson P-2000 for backup and a whole lot more!

Can I also add that I also just had a look through your portfolio and without sounding harsh I reallyu think you should have second thoughts about shooting a wedding. You don't have the equipment nor the knowledge to do it. I say this because if you have to ask how to practice shots then you are already in over your head. Pass the work to a pro and take your camera - no pressure - and shoot away till your heart's content.

These events are a one off. Photos are the only memory they'll have after it's all finished. You'll be doing yourself and the couples a favour. Sure we all need to learn but do it when you have the right equipment for the job and when there's no pressure on.

As I say I don't want to sound too harsh and these words are given in an honest way.

Best regards
JD

Passing it off to a pro is NOT an option...I say this because this is my sister and she has NO money for a pro, she barely has enough to pay for the wedding. It is a backyard wedding with about 50 people.

As for equipment, I appreicate your comments but I have NO money to spend on anymore equipment. I spent all I have on my new camera.

So the help I'm looking for is not to go buy new gear or get a pro, but to assist in giving my sister a good group of pictures from her wedding. I'm doing this wedding as a favor beacuse if I didn't do it, it was going to be a bunch of disposable cameras in the hands of the guests.

So the gear is all I have ( going to buy a tripod & filter set ), but that's it, no more.

Really the best you can do is to look over some examples of pictures and then shoot shoot shoot. The only practice that is going to help you with this is shooting another wedding So I would not worry about that. Do try an remember that while people do like to have candids of everyone in the wedding do try and get as many images of the couple posed and unposed as you can. In the hustle hustle of a wedding day especially one in a backyard it can be very hard to remember to stop and get them alone when people will be around them constantly.

Passing it off to a pro is NOT an option...I say this because this is my sister and she has NO money for a pro, she barely has enough to pay for the wedding. It is a backyard wedding with about 50 people.

As for equipment, I appreicate your comments but I have NO money to spend on anymore equipment. I spent all I have on my new camera.

So the help I'm looking for is not to go buy new gear or get a pro, but to assist in giving my sister a good group of pictures from her wedding. I'm doing this wedding as a favor beacuse if I didn't do it, it was going to be a bunch of disposable cameras in the hands of the guests.

So the gear is all I have ( going to buy a tripod & filter set ), but that's it, no more.

I appreciate the predicament. If you must then good luck :)

If I can give tips I'll try my best. Not a pro but have shot a few now and getting better with each one.

A tripod will probably only be of use for the detail shots (no people in them). Say shots of the rings and cake etc. If you are shooting in low light and shooting moving subjects with slow shutter speeds you'll most likely get motion blur as people are moving faster than the shutter can stop them. Better with a flash I'd say for low light situations.

A filter set will be a waste of money for a wedding. I've never used filters. Do the work post processing.

Read up on composition and rule of thirds. Practice portraits with the family and post here for advice and critique.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back