Wedding Question; Memory Card

I can't imagine a photographer EVER being willing to give up his own pictures. I can imagine somebody sharing digital files, if they NEEDED wedding pictures for thier portfolio or something but you need to tell them this is NOT how Photographers operate and your skills go far beyond pressing a button on a camera.

Tell them they can look around but are not likely to find somebody to agree to do this.

I just posted this and so am amazed somebody would even consider handing over all the files.

Are you even serious? Why would you even consider giving the client your memory card?

I would be making almost a weeks worth in 2-3 hours. That is why I would consider it. Its good money.

That and I have never done anything like this. I have no experience in the business end of things and I guess I ended up asking a stupid question because of it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So what happened? did you clarify this with them? do they really want your memory card? I really hope we get an update on this one. I imagine there won't be any pictures though.

Also....how many photos should I be taking? 1000 seems a bit high. I was hoping for 300-400 but with the 2 1GB cards I have I could get close to 600. Shouldnt that be enough?

You were hoping to take 300-400 photos, or give them 300-400 photos? For 8 hours of coverage I usually deliver 300-400 photos to the B & G. But these are edited from 600 - 1200 exposures taken throughout the day.

I take multiple shots of group poses to make sure that everyone has their eyes open, is looking at my camera, not making a funny face, etc... These shots are pretty much duplicates, so I just deliver the one where everyone looks the best. I also take test shots and experimental photos that don't always work out. There are exposures where the flash didn't recharge in time. Photos where someone walked in front of me. Shots where you can see someone's underwear (or that they aren't wearing underwear). Exposures where I just made stupid mistakes.

My "keeper" rate for showing up and photographing a bunch of strangers is 33% to 50%, which I think isn't too bad. Consider that even before digital National Geographic mag claimed 10,000 exposures for every one that actually got printed.

Consider that even before digital National Geographic mag claimed 10,000 exposures for every one that actually got printed.

That is scarier than a Steven King novel.

So what happened? did you clarify this with them? do they really want your memory card? I really hope we get an update on this one. I imagine there won't be any pictures though.

I talked to them and they were fine with me taking the photos home, editing them, then sending them a cd. It went much better than I thought.

You were hoping to take 300-400 photos, or give them 300-400 photos? For 8 hours of coverage I usually deliver 300-400 photos to the B & G. But these are edited from 600 - 1200 exposures taken throughout the day.

I take multiple shots of group poses to make sure that everyone has their eyes open, is looking at my camera, not making a funny face, etc... These shots are pretty much duplicates, so I just deliver the one where everyone looks the best. I also take test shots and experimental photos that don't always work out. There are exposures where the flash didn't recharge in time. Photos where someone walked in front of me. Shots where you can see someone's underwear (or that they aren't wearing underwear). Exposures where I just made stupid mistakes.

My "keeper" rate for showing up and photographing a bunch of strangers is 33% to 50%, which I think isn't too bad. Consider that even before digital National Geographic mag claimed 10,000 exposures for every one that actually got printed.

That is something I need to discuss further with them. I am supposed to be at their house around 1:30 and the wedding starts at 4:30. They mentioned 500-1000 but I have a feeling that is a figure that I will never achieve and realistically one they wont expect. I am shooting for 100-200 photos. I dont see, for such a short period of time, how I can get much more than that. I will sit down with them and look at what they want and go from there.

They want me to photograph people getting ready at their house. Then I will want to get group shots before the wedding. The some shots from before the wedding, during the wedding, them some shots after.

I know I may be into something over my head. I didnt do this on purpose. My number was passed on to them because they didnt have the money to hire a pro and this girl had seen and liked my work. When I first discussed it with the couple I told them up front that I had photographed one wedding and that I was far from a professional. They were ok with this. Going by some of the responsed I should have walked away. I guess maybe I should have but they had no other options.

That is something I need to discuss further with them. I am supposed to be at their house around 1:30 and the wedding starts at 4:30. They mentioned 500-1000 but I have a feeling that is a figure that I will never achieve and realistically one they wont expect. 1.I am shooting for 100-200 photos. I dont see, for such a short period of time, how I can get much more than that. I will sit down with them and look at what they want and go from there.

2.They want me to photograph people getting ready at their house. Then I will want to get group shots before the wedding. The some shots from before the wedding, during the wedding, them some shots after.

3.I know I may be into something over my head. I didnt do this on purpose. My number was passed on to them because they didnt have the money to hire a pro and this girl had seen and liked my work. When I first discussed it with the couple I told them up front that I had photographed one wedding and that I was far from a professional. They were ok with this. Going by some of the responsed I should have walked away. I guess maybe I should have but they had no other options.

1. I wouldn't worry so much about a specific goal as long as you get the important stuff the amount of shots will fall into place. Youll see by the time you are done you will be surprised at how many shots you take.

2. Good luck getting too many groups before the wedding. If you are lucky they might let you get them together (I love when this happens) but don't depend on it. Plan for alot more time after the ceremony than you think it will take.

3. Hopefully since they know you are not a pro they will know what to expect.

Hi again! Do yourself a favor and corner the best man and maid of honor as soon as you can and get them to help. This isn't about you but about them helping the B&G to get the best photos possible. Getting the guests and caterers in position and generally lined out is one of their duties.

Be nice and there shouldn't be any trouble. If one of them is already drunk or a complete jerk, move to the next one or ask the Mother of the Bride to appoint someone. Don't use the MoB -I won't go into all of the reasons just now- but if she asks tell her that you will need her in too many shots for her to be doing something else.

Take every opportunity to breath and relax!

Good luck

mike

If you can get some talk time before the actual day, make a list of the shots they want. http://www.weddingusa.com/plan/plan-photo.shtml.

You really need a check list of people and shots.

Have a paid assistant/friend/anyone who can round up people for you/hold foam core reflector, check off list, etc. After the wedding is too late to find out who you've missed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back