Wedding: Second Shooter Tips

Thanks everyone - some good stuff to consider here! I'll talk to her soon, it helps that I have some background info now to go off of.

Little off topic, but for all of you who have been at this (wedding photography/having a business) for a while, would it be rude or frowned upon for someone to ask to just come to the shoot and be a lens/water/whatever else mule for you just to learn? I'm just starting to pick up on studio lighting and the professional aspects of photography and it seems like this would be the best way to learn. I wouldn't be asking for anything in return, just to be able to observe and learn from watching.

Good idea or should I go read a book? :sillysmi:

Little off topic, but for all of you who have been at this (wedding photography/having a business) for a while, would it be rude or frowned upon for someone to ask to just come to the shoot and be a lens/water/whatever else mule for you just to learn? I'm just starting to pick up on studio lighting and the professional aspects of photography and it seems like this would be the best way to learn. I wouldn't be asking for anything in return, just to be able to observe and learn from watching.

Good idea or should I go read a book?
That's a great idea. Assisting an established pro is one of the best ways to learn the ins & outs of the business.
You can certainly as photographers, but be prepared that some of them will say no. Maybe they don't want to 'train their future competition' or maybe they don't want to babysit a newb while they are working...or maybe they already have a long list of people wanting to work for them.
However, some photographers don't mind sharing their knowledge and would be glad to have an enthusiastic assistant (especially one who's willing to work for peanuts).

You might also try approaching a photography club or association. For example, PPOC (Professional Photographers Of Canada) could probably pair you up with a pro to assist, but they may require that you become a member or at least a Jr. Member etc.

In addition to what other's have said. Before the wedding, while the main photographer is covering the bridal party you could cover the groom's party and vice versa. Some of those informal shots end up being the most interesting. In some cases you will be taking formal shots. One photographer can't be in two places at once.

Great tips and thanks a lot for sharing. I am usually the second shooter.

KG

I'm going to be a second shooter for the first time this summer for some weddings and would love to excel at the job at hand.

What are some different things I should be doing that would really make my work stand out?

I'm driving an hour so I want to make it worth it and have a lot of fun with the people.

The thoughts in the back of my head are:

Stay out of the main photographer's way.
Get the behind the scenes shots that the main photographer can't get.
Do some creative work while the main photographer gets the must have shots.

After the ceremony my plan is to have some fun with the bridesmaids, groomsmen, flower girl, ring bearer, etc... Lots of candids, hopefully the parents, and of course the bride and groom when I can.

How about before and during the ceremony? What should my focus be? Similar to the main photographer just in case?

During the ceremony I'm thinking if the main photographer is shooting, say a 70-200, should I duplicate or throw on my 18-50 for a different perspective? Or go up high with the zoom?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciate and will be used if possible!

Thanks

PS
I got some good information here if anyone is interested as well:
Second Shooter..... - Photo.net Wedding and social event photography Forum
Here's the best place online to find insurance quotes.

Although I am super-amateur, I'm enough of a photo bug to have watched both photographers working at my wedding this past summer.

The second's responsibilities were getting wide-angle shots of the church during the service, helping the main photographer during the more creative portraiture, flower-girl-wrangling, relative-wrangling, candids during after-dinner dancing, and a lot of the "atmosphere" shots (stuff like flowers, glasses, table centerpieces, etc.)

If you are shooting on the opposite side of the main during the ceremony (or whenever) make sure you don't end up in their shot!

I can just see the much wanted bride walking down the isle photo coming out great, except for the rookie second shooter at the other end of the isle crouched down getting a wide shot. hehe

Most reactions

Back