Wedding shots.

Roger, here is my take on it.

To me both these photos look like snapshots that you have altered in photoshop to make them look more "professional". If you wanted the bouquet to stand out on the first shot you should have opened up your aperture more to have achieve a shallow depth of field! You camera should be the tool in your hands, not your post processing! Post processing is like make-up: When it is applied lightly it enhances or when it is applied for a well-through through effect it is great BUT when just slathered on it looks "cheap". The goal should ALWAYS be to get it right in camera!

The second shot, she looks bored or just slightly annoyed. Her bridesmaid looks bored and kind of quizzicle. Once again, you could have opened up your aperture and have gotten the bride to stand out from the background...

The fact that you didn't open up makes me wonder whether you have the technical aspects of photography down pat? Can you expose properly AND get the correct creative exposure that you want ie do you really understand the relationship between ISO, Ap and SS and can you adjust them to get what YOU want? Do you plan you shot, not just the composition but also the way you "see" it in your mind's eye before you shoot?

It is the "job" of the photographer to put his subjects at ease and to help them to look good in front of the camera, that is they didn't ask uncle Joe with his point and shoot to take their photos.

Yes, your clients love these, BUT is this the work that you want to represent you?

In number 1 you say that you like the expressions on their faces, BUT there is no connection: No connection with the viewer of the photograph (ie looking at the camera) and no connection with the environment or with each other.... I can't help but wonder what they are looking at? It isn't the nostalgic far off look of brides that work in some bridal photos, it is just a "we are looking at something outside the frame of the photo".

HTH
Anelle

Roger, here is my take on it.

To me both these photos look like snapshots that you have altered in photoshop to make them look more "professional". If you wanted the bouquet to stand out on the first shot you should have opened up your aperture more to have achieve a shallow depth of field! You camera should be the tool in your hands, not your post processing! Post processing is like make-up: When it is applied lightly it enhances or when it is applied for a well-through through effect it is great BUT when just slathered on it looks "cheap". The goal should ALWAYS be to get it right in camera!

The second shot, she looks bored or just slightly annoyed. Her bridesmaid looks bored and kind of quizzicle. Once again, you could have opened up your aperture and have gotten the bride to stand out from the background...

The fact that you didn't open up makes me wonder whether you have the technical aspects of photography down pat? Can you expose properly AND get the correct creative exposure that you want ie do you really understand the relationship between ISO, Ap and SS and can you adjust them to get what YOU want? Do you plan you shot, not just the composition but also the way you "see" it in your mind's eye before you shoot?

It is the "job" of the photographer to put his subjects at ease and to help them to look good in front of the camera, that is they didn't ask uncle Joe with his point and shoot to take their photos.

Yes, your clients love these, BUT is this the work that you want to represent you?

In number 1 you say that you like the expressions on their faces, BUT there is no connection: No connection with the viewer of the photograph (ie looking at the camera) and no connection with the environment or with each other.... I can't help but wonder what they are looking at? It isn't the nostalgic far off look of brides that work in some bridal photos, it is just a "we are looking at something outside the frame of the photo".

HTH
Anelle

Thanks for at least expressing why you don't like them. I was shooting at f4 the whole time indoors, the maximum aperture of my 17-40L. The ISO varied from 200-400 due to the varying light.....and before you go saying I should have a wider aperture lens, I have a 50mm 1.4 but it was unusable in the space. I am happy to admit, weddings and people shots in general are not my forte, it's been three years since I did my last wedding for another friend...I shoot motorcycles professionally, so yes I have a good grasp of exposure parameters.

One thing to check out is THE PACT, I'm too lazy to find a link but to sum it up is people who "agree to the pact" agree to provide brutally honest feedback. Otherwise the forum is just a place to get your back patted for posting anything. Second, you mention a 50mm f1.4, but I didn't catch if you are shooting on a full frame or crop frame. Third, a great "wedding" lens to pickup is the 24-70mm 2.8. Stopping down to 2.8 you can achieve some great DOF in low light conditions at 400 ISO.

Again, don't take the negative comments personally, they are opinions and what good would a forum be with only positive opinions?

Going through the link in your sig, you have some amazing photos that really don't hold a candle to the images you posted, you should definitely post some of the ones from your site, the shots from Prague are amazing and the Urban Life shots too! It is a stark contrast to the wedding photos...

Going through the link in your sig, you have some amazing photos that really don't hold a candle to the images you posted, you should definitely post some of the ones from your site, the shots from Prague are amazing and the Urban Life shots too! It is a stark contrast to the wedding photos...

Thanks for taking the time to look at my site and post these comments....as I stated before I'm quite happy to accept constructive crit and acknowledged the previous poster for that, no problem there. However I do take exception to another poster just saying 'poor quality photos'. Again the reason I posted these shots was to get opinions about the effects used, the consensus seems clear :D. Also if you look at my history, I've posted plenty of the stuff from my site.....most of which has been removed as I'm going through a re-vamp. Upon thinking about it, if the previous poster had taken the time as you did to look at my site, they wouldn't have needed to question my ability to expose properly.

Most reactions

Back