Wedding Studio Photography

sactown024

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

Lately I have been reading Sal Cincotta's book "Photography MBA" and watching all of his youtube videos, he quickly became my new inspiration. He talsk a lot about wedding studio and I was just curious when is a studio used for a wedding? The wedding day is so crazy busy I just dont see the time to bring them to your studio and do photos. Is this something that is done the next day or what?

Also - Trash the dress, when is this done? Again it seems like you would never have time to do this before the reception and still have time for the bride to get in her new dress and get ready for the reception.

for all the wedding photograpehers out there - have you done any of this and when do you do it?

studios can be used for engagement photos. SOMETIMES additional formals are shot in studio after the wedding. Once or twice I have seen families that wanted to get the kids dressed up for studio shots of them as the flower girl or ring bearer. trash the dress is done after the wedding. often after the honeymoon, whenever the bride decides to get dressed back up to do it. its not usually a time-critical event.

sactown024 said:
Hey everyone,

Lately I have been reading Sal Cincotta's book "Photography MBA" and watching all of his youtube videos, he quickly became my new inspiration. He talsk a lot about wedding studio and I was just curious when is a studio used for a wedding? The wedding day is so crazy busy I just dont see the time to bring them to your studio and do photos. Is this something that is done the next day or what?

Also - Trash the dress, when is this done? Again it seems like you would never have time to do this before the reception and still have time for the bride to get in her new dress and get ready for the reception.

for all the wedding photograpehers out there - have you done any of this and when do you do it?

Could be for an e-shoot, or maybe the family portraits in a studio. I personally don't know anyone that actually does that, as its easier to get the whole family together on the wedding day itself.

As for the trash the dress, that's usually done a day following the wedding. Just the bride and groom generally and it's quite fun. I would not suggest doing it on a wedding day.

Trash the dress needs doing before they let themselves go and get fat now they have caught their man :wink:

Thanks - that explains a lot!

I don't do too many things in the studio at all, but I normally do my trash the dress session the day after the wedding.

According to the wedding photography history this used to happen some years ago because the equipments were to heavy for the photographer to transport them outside. That is why we were talking about studio wedding photography. I read that in wikipedia but I think that nowadays it rarely happens...

I caght there 5 day seminar on creative live and I believe he said they will come into the studio a few days before the wedding or even a week before the wedding for wedding studio portraits. Sal kinda goes for the large Artwork hang on the wall type photos.

Sometimes I can get studio shots at the bridal shoot. Bridal shoots are more common in the south and usually take place the same day as the dress arrival and the bride has her hair and make-up trial run. Trash the dress is after the wedding. Most of the time it is after they get back from the honeymoon. The more you can do before the wedding the better (in my opinion)

I caght there 5 day seminar on creative live and I believe he said they will come into the studio a few days before the wedding or even a week before the wedding for wedding studio portraits. Sal kinda goes for the large Artwork hang on the wall type photos.

I bought that too, great bootcamp..

Sal's big use for his studio is to show clients their photos, photo books, and artwork. He doesn't shoot too much in the studio and tends to shoot people against architecture.

I rarely shoot wedding photos in studio too although I will do an engagement there from time to time but that's not optimal.

Hi Cericola,

I found your photography studio more informative & photography portfolios are quite good. Here for wedding photography and especially bridal shoot i experienced alot more changes in my wedding photographs with good birdal shoots of insightcreative.

Johnmurl

I attended one of Sal's seminars at WPPI last year. When he refers to his studio, hes usually referring to his photography operation/photographers not necessarily directly related to taking photos of the bride and groom at his actual studio. With that said however he does a lot more than just weddings so he does possibly bring in clients to his studio for other projects.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back