Wedding Video (run and gun) Audio?

HeldInTheMoment

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey All,

I currently use a Rode VideoMic Pro for my audio at Weddings and I LOVE it; though, some Brides have asked about wireless audio to record their vows and ceremony more clear, especially for outdoor ceremony's. My concern is with a wireless LAV, where the *%*@ is a Bride going to mount the transmitter?? lol -- also, that all takes time to setup. While a shotgun mic is ready to go all the time.

Thoughts?

Put a lav mic connected to a stand alone audio recorder on the groom, the recorder or if you insist transmitter can easily slip into the inside pocket of his suit or tux. the bride and groom are standing close enough you should get decent audio of both of them.

I would NEVER just rely on a shot jun mic for vows. You will pick up way too much other noise.

Yep. Something like the Zoom ZH1 H1 and a good (broadcast-grade) lavalier mic.

If you want to go quality wireless - Rode RodeLink FM Wireless

Use the 3 foot rule. The microphone needs to be within 3 feet of whoever is speaking.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks!

Is syncing the audio to the video easy in post? All my current video has been done with Mic-In

A hand clap or other sharp sound in the video footage greatly simplifies syncing sound recorded in an audio file separate from the video footage.
That's what the 'clapperboard' is for when filmmaking.

A hand clap or other sharp sound in the video footage greatly simplifies syncing sound recorded in an audio file separate from the video footage.
That's what the 'clapperboard' is for when filmmaking.

Of course, but how to do that for a Wedding Ceremony?

I use the dedicated recorders and add those soundtracks in post. These can record the whole ceremony so turn it on early and just let it recored everything. Sync with the sound recorded by the shotgun mic. I would pull the line-in mic sound off the video so it is on its own track so you can cut the sections where you want to raise the level from the lavalier mic and drop the level of the line-in mic. A stereo recorder for ambient and a recorder on the sound board (if used) are good for additional fill.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back