Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

photopro379

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all! I am a brand new poster to this forum that can use some advice. i have fell in love with photography and recently quit my job to follow my dream of becoming a full time photographer. I've only taken a couple of portraits for friends so far, but my cousin asked if I would take pictures at her wedding. The problem is that I have no idea what to charge. I am thinking $100 for a cd of pictures. Does that sound right?

I have a similar situation with a friend. I am doing it as my gift to her to make it less awkward. After seeking advice on here and everywhere else, you are probably going to hear a lot you don't want to.. But It is doable for sure. I have a friend on here that has done it.. but he prepared himself for it. I also have a friend photographer I second shot with last month at a wedding. It was a wealth of information and experience I think was very beneficial to me, for the wedding I will be shooting in Sept. Which will be my first as the main photographer. Seriously you have to do a lot of research and know how the day is going to play out... make a schedule! It is slow at first, but once the ceremony starts, it kicks into high gear and you need to be overly prepared and on your game. Are you going to be the only one?

There are a myriad of calculations that go into determining what to charge for any event. There's no standard fee. Your costs and thus your prices are going to be very different from mine. I will tell you though that as far as weddings go, $100 wouldn't even cover my fees a single bride & groom formal.

The_Traveler said:
this has got to be a troll.

Not a troll. I just want to keep my costs down for family. I would do I for free, but she insists on paying me something.

Stacylouwho said:
I have a similar situation with a friend. I am doing it as my gift to her to make it less awkward. After seeking advice on here and everywhere else, you are probably going to hear a lot you don't want to.. But It is doable for sure. I have a friend on here that has done it.. but he prepared himself for it. I also have a friend photographer I second shot with last month at a wedding. It was a wealth of information and experience I think was very beneficial to me, for the wedding I will be shooting in Sept. Which will be my first as the main photographer. Seriously you have to do a lot of research and know how the day is going to play out... make a schedule! It is slow at first, but once the ceremony starts, it kicks into high gear and you need to be overly prepared and on your game. Are you going to be the only one?

Thanks Stacy! I do understand. Yes I will be the only one.

tirediron said:
There are a myriad of calculations that go into determining what to charge for any event. There's no standard fee. Your costs and thus your prices are going to be very different from mine. I will tell you though that as far as weddings go, $100 wouldn't even cover my fees a single bride & groom formal.

$100 wouldnt even cover your fees for family? You are a balla!

tirediron said:

I have no idea what a "balla" is, so I may or may not be one. As for costs, have you priced wedding photography recently? $1000 is a very, VERY inexpensive price for a wedding. I missed the word "cousin" in your post. That changes it. The answer is easy. DO NOT charge. There's nothing that messes up a family relationship more than business. Tell her you'll do it as your gift to the couple, and if she's really wowed by the results, she can buy you a fancy supper somewhere after.

Just make sure you have everything you need lenses, flashes, extra batteries, extra cards.. you know what I mean. If you could find someone to help you, it would give you a little cushion. You gotta be fast.

tirediron said:

I have no idea what a "balla" is, so I may or may not be one. As for costs, have you priced wedding photography recently? $1000 is a very, VERY inexpensive price for a wedding. I missed the word "cousin" in your post. That changes it. The answer is easy. DO NOT charge. There's nothing that messes up a family relationship more than business. Tell her you'll do it as your gift to the couple, and if she's really wowed by the results, she can buy you a fancy supper somewhere after.

John.. he called you a "PIMP" :)

Urban Dictionary: balla

John.. he called you a "PIMP" :)

Urban Dictionary: balla
:lmao: First time for everything!

this has got to be a troll.
I can't understand how you are a supporting member.. Do you ever support members?

I don't think it is sensible or useful to support every 'dream'.
Someone who has no idea how much to charge for a wedding, hasn't shown the interest to read the many similar posts here and learn from them, probably doesn't have the experience or the skills yet to shoot a wedding, a day which is an incredibly important day in two peoples' lives.
I won't support an effort which may disappoint two people terribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back