Weddings & guest photographers who won't get out of the way!

Well, of course...taking a diplomatic approach is key.

That is usually the way I handle it. I give the guests a few seconds to get their shots before I rearrange the grouping/pose.

But what do you when/if it becomes a problem? For example, the couple just got married and are walking the recessional down the isle. You are in position for a great shot, but then 4 guests jump out into the isle, directly in front of the couple.

What about if you are shooting the formals, and when you are just about to take your shot, Uncle Bob is standing 5 feet to your right, still shooting away. Half the people in your shot are looking at him. Or maybe Aunt Millie is actually calling for their attention while you are about to shoot.

I can see where taking your time, allowing them to shoot, is a good approach...but it doesn't work so well now that everyone has a digital camera and a basically unlimited number of shots they can take.

My point is that sometimes you need to step up and take charge of the situation. Maybe ask the family to hold off on their shooting until you are done with the session. Of course, it helps if you are amicable and maybe throw in a joke or something.

One time, when it started to get bad with too many cameras all around. All I had to do was give a nod to the Bride & Groom and they asked the family to lay off and let me do my job...after all, I'm the one they are paying to take photos.

Honestly I have to ask what right do you have to tell someone's friend or family member what they can and cannot shoot at their friend or family member's wedding. I have never in all my years of shooting weddings had a problem at a wedding that cannot be solved with "excuse me you mind if I shoot this first??".

Well, like I said, I usually take the passive route you described. Under most circumstances nothing is lost or in danger, except for my nerves. But hey, it's part of the job.

But, what right do I have? I would probably say that the bride and groom are paying me very well to take these photographs. The day is all about the bride and the groom, not about family and friend's or their hobbies. If the situation really calls for it, intrusive cameras need to back off.

But again, I tend to agree with passivity. Most of the time it's just annoying, but not actually problematic.

But, what right do I have? I would probably say that the bride and groom are paying me very well to take these photographs. The day is all about the bride and the groom, not about family and friend's or their hobbies. If the situation really calls for it, intrusive cameras need to back off.
Further to that, what right do they have to ruin someone's wedding photos?

Living in free countries, we all have the right to just about anything we please...but when I become the Supreme Oppressor, all those Uncle Bobs will be squashed! :whip:

As a professional I think you should be able to work around guests to get the job done.

Thank you this is kind of the point I have been trying to get to in this thread. This should not be a problem and in general you should be able to work around any guests that want to be a part of the couple's day. Even though you are the hired professional you are there to document the day and not direct it or tell people what to do.

I have shot MANY weddings and have never found the need to do something like this. If I see someone with a rig that I think might compete with mine I like to engage them and give them advice on what to shoot that will help the couple get more images rather than repeats of what you are shooting.

Mmm, to each his own I suppose.

I agree that as professionals, we need to do everything we can to work with the situation presented to us. It's possible that the area you work in tends differently than an extremely metropolitan one. Or maybe your creative style is more conservative and forgiving of people being in the way. I don't know. But to make a point, a wedding I attended recently had too many tables, too many people at each table and only about a foot and a half to spare between the tables. Moving around was difficult enough. Put a camera in almost every persons hand and an overzealous amateur diving at every photo op, it's bound to eventually hinder my ability to do the job I was hired to do.

It's also worth noting that many photographers aren't hired purely as documentarians. Very often photographers are hired for a specific aesthetic and people pay very well for their preference.

So it's not only getting the pictures, it's also about getting the pictures the way the bride and groom wanted them.

well this conversation is retarded.

this is exactly why as a friend i bring my own gear to weddings. because %90 of wedding photographers, like people in general, are completely retarded.

i've been on both ends, with stupid people getting in my way, and accidentally being the person in the way of the pro (but only because I was getting the great shot first and the dude was stealing it after). i can tell you that, when people get in your way, it's basic common effing sense to just ask them to wait a few minutes until you're bloody done. nothing rude about it?

and if the priest or dj can help your cause, let them. drawing attention to yourself? YOU'RE THE EFFING HIRED PHOTOGRAPHER??? You want everyone to know who you are!!! Mind boggling that some of you "don't want to draw attention to yourself"????

I swear it hurts my inner most feelings when I see people doing anything badly. It's really unfortunate that Photography seems to be the only industry that isn't regulated for quality. Any retard with an SLR can claim they're a wedding photographer.

As a professional I think you should be able to work around guests to get the job done.

Thank you this is kind of the point I have been trying to get to in this thread. This should not be a problem and in general you should be able to work around any guests that want to be a part of the couple's day. Even though you are the hired professional you are there to document the day and not direct it or tell people what to do.

Document the day? Really? And if someone is in the way you don't think it's even remotely in your best interest to tell them to GTFO???!!?!?! Sound like you're just a socially awkward mofo that can't or won't talk to strangers.

I have shot MANY weddings and have never found the need to do something like this. If I see someone with a rig that I think might compete with mine I like to engage them and give them advice on what to shoot that will help the couple get more images rather than repeats of what you are shooting.

MANY weddings?!?!?! OMG YOU MUST BE A PRO!!!!

TELL US JUST HOW MANY PLEASE SIR!!!

Your aggression seems unreasonable. There's no need for this discussion to be heated and there certainly isn't any good reason for personal attacks. It's just people discussing different methods and ideas about the best way to handle different situations.

paparazzi punch em. twist your lens and hit them in the face with your elbow whilst you do it !

If you REALLY need to know I shot wedings for 7 years before my leg was shattered when I was hit by a car 3 1/2 years ago an injury from which I am still recovering and actually just returned home from a surgery on. I think I can safely say counting the seasons I have done at least a couple hundred anyway. I do agree this is a matter of personal style and there is no reason for it to become some kind of slugfest. I am in no way a socially akward individual I would think that this might keep you from becoming a wedding photographer in the first place as you do need to become something of a director in certain situations but in others a silent documenter of the proceedings. I have never been afraid to assert that I am the paid photographer and as such peple should stay out of my way. I just think there are ways to do this without pissing people off or having a fellow photographer wether a pro on a day off or a budding enthusiast hoping to snag a few for his future wedding website. Looking at your post count I will assume you are not trolling although a post like that raises my suspicions of you at least trying to stir things up.

Most reactions

Back