Weddings - Set or Unlimited Hours

Oh yes.. one more reason to not say unlimited. I know of a lady who offered this and ended up shooting a 3 day wedding (it was Indian I believe. One that spans several days).. don't be her! ;)

The one I'm shooting on Saturday is Indian. ;) But they've shortened the ceremony from 3 days to 1.5 hrs. I'm grateful. I'm also grateful that I get to stand up and walk around during the shindig as opposed to being stuck in an uncomfortable seat for over an hour. :lol:

For the weddings I have done, I really tailored it to what they needed. Sometimes they really want the rehearsal photographed, sometimes its the 'getting ready'. I really like the advice I got here - about leaving right when you are 'done'.

I load the photos right on a external storage device right at the reception. I have totally changed the way I view my photos this past season.

I personally like the longer (but not too long) weddings. It gives you the opportunity to capture the whole day's events and create a story tale for them. Right from the getting ready shots, up until the 'old folks have gone home, lets party' stage.

Of course, there are certain events that you want/need to capture. I've found that many times, it might not be until 8, 9, 10 o'clock until the bouquet gets tossed, or the cake gets cut. So we will certainly stick around until then...many times, having to remind them that they should get to those things before it's too late.

Some of my favorite weddings are the ones where the B&G really let loose and have fun on the dance floor. I could shoot that all night.

You also need to recognize the point when things have reached their peak and there is nothing new to capture...except people getting drunker as the night drags on. Unfortunately, sometimes that peak comes well before the time you are contracted to stay there. In a situation like this, I just try to get creative. A few times, the other photographer and I will have a contest to see who can come up with the best shot using the prop/decorations that are part of the wedding decor.

The 1st question out of a Bride is "How much do you charge?". I generally respond with "I don't know - but if we talk about your wedding and what you need, I can put a package together for you". To me there are several factors that effect the cost. Length of day, size of wedding party, flower girl, ring bearer, length of wedding dress. All this has an impact on the length of the day, is an assistant needed? and this all adds up to a final amount.

I have a price sheet (1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full day, with or without assistant). I can send it to the bride, so she can see that range of prices. In my mind it boils down to what the bride wants and what resources are needed to supply a quality product. Then at that point if the price is too high, we can drop price by pulling out services or deliverable. I don't drop the hourly rate, I drop delivery/deliverable.

Oh, by the way, I have a prominent statement on my wedding web page in effect stating "I do not shoot and burn", explaining why. If they want what I offer fine, if not go find some one who will give them what they want (a CD of full file images).

Oh, I also list a rate for extra time. This way if the clients decides they want me to extend the day at their request, they will know what anount they will be billed.

I refer them to a couple posts on my blog that discuss some of these issues and list my philosophy. You are welcome to read them - linked below.

Copyrights, CD’S and Discount Printing – OH MY! « Athomasimage's Blog

You’ve got a CD with 1000 images, Now what? « Athomasimage's Blog

Thanks Thomas. I just want to add that I am not and refuse to be a "shoot and burn" photographer. I go through all of my images and edit them fully and the client only receives the top images. I don't just burn a bunch of files and walk away. Of course, the two things I lose are control of the printing lab, which I talk to my clients about and possibly additional prints.

I didn't offer CDs initially, but everyone around here does it including the very top professionals. When I didn't offer it, every single person walked away even after telling all the arguments you list. The top photographers seem to focus their after sales on those products that can't be purchased at Walmart such as nice canvases, albums and specialty products.

I guess different methods work for different people and locations :)

Interesting. Here in N-E Ohio (the Rust Belt), brides are getting not tighter with their budgets, but chopping them. All they're asking for is Shoot & Burn. I've lost a fair amount of opportunities by not doing that. I've very close to crossing over to the dark side and start to "Shoot & Burn". Might be the only way to survive.

A wedding is not 8 hours, 12 hours or even 16 hours - it's about a week.
First meeting
Pre wedding shoot
The wedding day
post processing
first showing to pick pics for album
talking to album company and designing the album
delivery of the album
preparing web gallery
pre checks on equipment

The list goes on and on

Work out your target earnings per year - add all expences and costs (travel, album, photo lab etc etc) - divide by number of expected weddings (I've always found that 48 is workable for me if a few of them are mid week) - and you should have a rough idea of what to charge.

It's a frightening exercise but if you go into business, you go into it for profit not loss.

Secondly, if you take a booking where the bride says I only want half a day for just the ceremony, you have now lost the potential for a full day as your diary is full. It's a price or nothing, do not be affraid of walking away from a potential loss

Alrighty -- the wedding I did yesterday was about 14 hours of shooting from start to finish. Never again. ;)

I feel very lucky compared to you guys. Ive never had to be there more than 6 hrs.

Once they cut the cake over here that's it, I offer 3 packs, one takes in getting ready, I'll turn up 2 hours before the wedding ceremony time and shoot half an hour or so then head to the church/venue, for no more than 1 1/2 hours, then finish off at reception, usually no more than an hour, I'm not there to sleep with the couple, get what you need and get out, I max 300 shots with very few for the bin.

300 is more than enough, I've visited many "Pro's" sites on here and am amazed at what counts for professional work at a wedding on that side of the pond, countless shots of empty seats, backs of heads of groom and bride and raccoon eyes abound, it wouldn't cut it here and couples have usually had enough of being shot after a couple of hours anyway, drop your times at venues, the fee you charge is to cover PP and album prep, its not based on shoot time. H

Wow! I feel so lucky! My base package starts at 1.5 hours and I have never done a wedding for more than 5 hours.

Over here (maui) most weddings are small since not a lot of people can afford to attend a wedding in Hawaii. The biggest wedding I have shot was about 50 guests. Usually 30 min of getting ready, 30 min ceremony on the beach, 45 min of family formals and an hour on the beach with the bride and groom until sunset. Receptions are usually a large table at a restaurant with a cake and most couples don't want to pay for coverage for that. If anything it is 15 min at the restaurant with them cutting the cake and a group shot of people sitting at the table having cocktails!

I would lose my mind if I had to do a wedding for 14 hours!! I let the bride and groom know our timeline before their day and if they want to add more time, it is extra.

Alrighty -- the wedding I did yesterday was about 14 hours of shooting from start to finish. Never again. ;)

Killer isn't it?? Every one I have attended as second shooter has been minimal 12 hours, not counting driving 1-2.5 hrs each direction.

Wow! I feel so lucky! My base package starts at 1.5 hours and I have never done a wedding for more than 5 hours.

Over here (maui) most weddings are small since not a lot of people can afford to attend a wedding in Hawaii. The biggest wedding I have shot was about 50 guests. Usually 30 min of getting ready, 30 min ceremony on the beach, 45 min of family formals and an hour on the beach with the bride and groom until sunset. Receptions are usually a large table at a restaurant with a cake and most couples don't want to pay for coverage for that. If anything it is 15 min at the restaurant with them cutting the cake and a group shot of people sitting at the table having cocktails!

I would lose my mind if I had to do a wedding for 14 hours!! I let the bride and groom know our timeline before their day and if they want to add more time, it is extra.

It isn't my mind that is losing it after that long, its my body! Carrying all that gear and standing on my head all night and doing lunges to get the right angle does me in.

Once they cut the cake over here that's it, I offer 3 packs, one takes in getting ready, I'll turn up 2 hours before the wedding ceremony time and shoot half an hour or so then head to the church/venue, for no more than 1 1/2 hours, then finish off at reception, usually no more than an hour, I'm not there to sleep with the couple, get what you need and get out, I max 300 shots with very few for the bin.

300 is more than enough, I've visited many "Pro's" sites on here and am amazed at what counts for professional work at a wedding on that side of the pond, countless shots of empty seats, backs of heads of groom and bride and raccoon eyes abound, it wouldn't cut it here and couples have usually had enough of being shot after a couple of hours anyway, drop your times at venues, the fee you charge is to cover PP and album prep, its not based on shoot time. H

I do like to get the end of the night so that you can tell the whole story in their album, I just think it is rediculous to spend as much time as we do standing around for hours for them to get ready. If they don't plan to leave until midnight though, I'm really not up for that unless they are footing the bill.

Ok, so I think this thread verified that I need to set my hours and charge for additional (assuming I ever book any!)

Thanks for the advice, yall are awesome as always!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back