weddings....

Southerngal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Will be photographing wedding Saturday.....I realize that I will be taking pics before and after wedding...reception etc.....but, what will I be able to take during the wedding? I mean how much moving around will I be able to do to take my pics? What should I expect and what will likely expect? Its not in a churh, so is it up to the B&G and what they want me to do? I don't know :confused: Im not really so sure that they do either.

Find out who is presiding and ask them. This always helps and may get you permission to do more than you otherwise would. Best if you ask in person if you can. (see if they will let you into the room to get an idea what shooting there will be like)

mike

Whether indoors or outdoors, it is completely up to the officiant's authority. Keep in mind that this is a RELIGIOUS service. Even if I had full reign at a wedding, I would never never move during the ceremony. If I do, it draws attention away from what is truly important. I find one spot, the night before at the rehearsal, and I hide as much as I possibly can. Most times I'm up front somewhere on the alter area, but the only thing seen is my lens..........I'm crouched down as not to be seen.
Is this indoors or outdoors? I can't tell you what to expect without knowing that.
And no, the b&g rarely know what's going on. I spend half my day telling them which leg the garter goes on, and that the bottom layer of the cake is usually fake. LOL

The wedding is indoors....actually at an old train depot downtown. I just want to be able to get the best photos that I can w/out stepping on any toes.

I think they covered it...it's up to the person officiating the ceremony as to what you are allowed to do. As for how intrusive you want to be...that's up to you and the people who hired/asked you to photograph the wedding.

There is a video floating about the internet...where a pair of photographers were literally inches from the bride & groom for a good part of the ceremony....standing right in front of them and moving in and around them. That's certainly an example of what not to do...but you may not have to hide at the back either. Use your best judgement as to when it's OK to move in for a shot and when you should stop shooting entirely.

I just went with a wedding photog to see what happens and to learn and during the cerimony (outdoors) he stood to the right of the alter in a multch area and shot half the wedding cerimony there. He did cross between the audience and the B&G once so he could get shots from the other side and have another perspecive. He then made his way around and behind the audience and got ready for the B&G to walk the isle and get those shots. He said before hand that he would have to fake the shots with the B&G putting on the rings and so he did that after the cerimony. I like the way he did it and think that it worked well. I think it is important to get the Bride faceing you and the Groom and to do this you have to get on both sides sometime:) He also cept saying how he was keeping an eye on the Bride, even when eating at the reception he had his camera on the table and his chair turned so he could see her at all times:)

Check out the hints in the wedding subforum. One of the sticky threads had a list of things to photograph posted, sorted into the various parts of a wedding.

A certain amount of quiet movement is normally ok. Go efficiently and be very quiet and try not to disturb the enjoyment of the guests. Standing in one position is quite restrictive but that will be down to the officiant. I 've been asked to stand at the back (no flash) which does restrict you a bit but make sure you find out beforehand if you can, what is allowed and what is not.......

Make sure you have a fast enough lens to be able to work inside without flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back