TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I will shoot a weeding for a friend**

***DISCLAIMER: I'm not a pro, it will be for free, I have taken photos of them many times before and they are happy with the results, I pay my taxes, I'm not in business, It's not about the gear, Quality of light first.

LOL!

But in all seriousness, I will have budget just to rent one lens.

I'm wondering which lens I should rent? I was thinking either 24-70 2.8f Nikon or the 70-200 2.8f Nikon

My current gear is, D300s, SB-900, 18-105 3.5-5.6f, 18-200 3.5-5.6f (first VR1), 50mm 1.4f and 35mm 1.8f. My wife will be using her D90. we have a circular reflector and a 42" umbrella

It's a very low budget wedding, most friends are proving a lot of things free.

Any thought will be appreciated, Learn something new everyday!

Thank you very much.

Before even reading this I automatically thought the 24-70 would be a good choice. Your 18-200 should be good enough to cover subjects at greater focal lengths. I don't own the 24-70 but I've seen so much great work come from it so that gets my vote.

Flash is generally not permitted "during" the ceremony, but is permitted at all other times. For that reason, it's nice to have a long lens with a very low focal ratio for natural light shots during the ceremony.

If you could have two lenses... the 24-70 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8. There are shots you can re-create after the ceremony... blessings, lighting the unity candle, etc. but it's nice to be able to get the shots during the ceremony if possible.

Before even reading this I automatically thought the 24-70 would be a good choice. Your 18-200 should be good enough to cover subjects at greater focal lengths. I don't own the 24-70 but I've seen so much great work come from it so that gets my vote.

I agree with this opinion.

Thanks for the thoughts! Also the weeding will be outdoors at 7pm. Here in this location at this time of the year the sun doesn't goes down till around 8:30

Last edited:
You need one fast zoom in that collection. The 18-200 and 18-105 are both too slow for indoor wedding work. I would second the vote for renting both the 24-70 and 70-200 if there is any way possible, but if you can have just one, than go for the 24-70; it is a fantastic lens. Also make sure you talk to the church staff and find out where you can shoot, and what, if any restrictions there are on what you do during the ceremony.

tirediron said:
You need one fast zoom in that collection. The 18-200 and 18-105 are both too slow for indoor wedding work. I would second the vote for renting both the 24-70 and 70-200 if there is any way possible, but if you can have just one, than go for the 24-70; it is a fantastic lens. Also make sure you talk to the church staff and find out where you can shoot, and what, if any restrictions there are on what you do during the ceremony.

Thanks for the advice. I will check the price of renting both at my local camera store. May be is not as e pensive as I think.

I would take the 70-200 myself, and have your wife with the 50mm or 35mm on the D90.

Also, it's 'wedding', not 'weeding'.

Yeah. Im thinking I will rent both. I never used neither of those 2 lenses. At first I thought the majority would tell me 7-200. But seems like most say to get the 24-70

Shucks, I was going to suggest a macro lens. Those weeds are pretty small so a Maco would make an excellent Weeding lens. :lol: :lmao:

Id go with the 70-200, and use your 35 and 50mm primes for wider shots. Leave your other lenses at home, and seriously consider renting or borrowing a second body to hold your wider lens.

I was going to suggest the 35 prime on the d300s, and renting a 70-200, but on a crop body, I don't think you will find the 35 wide enough, it will be closer to a 50mm. My vote would be to rent the 24-70. The 18-200 won't be great, but you will probably have enough light during the ceremony to grab some shots if it's outdoors.

Seeing that both your cameras are crop sensor, you may want to consider something wider, like the 17-55. I've used a 24-70 on a crop sensor, and it's a bit tight on the wide end, especially for dancing photos at the reception.

Most reactions

Back