Week 38|39 B&W Challenge brought to you by the letter B

She fell outside last week and broke her hip. She is currently in hospital and likely will be for a while yet.

Sorry to hear it. I've heard that in some cases the hip breaks causing the fall. Regardless, unfortunate.

Just by way of explanation, the 'B' is for Broken. My elderly mothers favourite chair and her walking stick which she no longer sits on or uses. She fell outside last week and broke her hip. She is currently in hospital and likely will be for a while yet.

View attachment 248615
Really sorry to hear that. I hope her recovery goes smoothly.

Sorry to hear it. I've heard that in some cases the hip breaks causing the fall. Regardless, unfortunate.
Really sorry to hear that. I hope her recovery goes smoothly.
That is exactly what happened to my grandmother.
@Space Face I wish her a speedy recovery and the very best health.
Thank you for the kind words gents.

Just heard she's getting moved from the main regional hospital 20 miles away to our local hospital, which is about a 5 minute walk from my house so that's great news. Dunno what their visiting protocol under covid is though.

Babes on Boilers. It's an actual club so I'm not being disrespectful. This is Sally Mae, the founder.

FB_IMG_1632272261977-01.jpeg

Nice shots, especially the first two.

Thank you kindly! The third one looks a little better in color, I should have resisted the conversion.
bwb in color-1.jpg

Thank you kindly! The third one looks a little better in color, I should have resisted the conversion.
View attachment 248647
Not really. I still like the B&W version, but the background is a bit too prominent for me. I prefer the background in the second shot. It lends itself more to the thrift-store feel and better isolation of the subject.

Last edited:
JC-you shoot these just right. Love the motion blur-perfect shutter. Agfa?
Thanks Zulu. I shot this on my Minolta Maxum 9, AF35-70 f/4 (mini beer can), Program 5400HSS, TriX at 400. I like to pop the flash with steam engines that have the canopy. You can see the guide value worked out nicely on the inner roof of canopy and backside interior of rear wheel. So I put the camera in program mode (turns on HSS automatically in bright sunlight) and was satisfied with the cameras choice of shutter speed (I was looking for 1/125s or slower) and got the result I wanted... Thanks for noticing! It was my intention on this particular shot. The shutter speed was the key but I wanted to get that canopy lit. It's tricky but you just have to understand your vision on a moments notice. Lots of practice...

I always have a flash with me, even on my old ass folders. Flash makes a great difference and am always perplexed at peoples reactions when I recommend them. There used to be a guy on here named Derrel who spent a lot of time with me on flash photography and clarified many of the lessons in John Hedgcoe books on the subject. They taught me, I just kept practicing. Now I never leave home without one. I find them very useful, so much that I bought (16) the high end rechargable AA batteries.

There used to be a guy on here named Derrel who spent a lot of time with me on flash photography and clarified many of the lessons in John Hedgcoe books on the subject. They taught me, I just kept practicing. Now I never leave home without one. I find them very useful, so much that I bought (16) the high end rechargable AA batteries.

Flash is an art unto itself. One of these days I'll get the proper gear, buckle down and learn the numerous techniques related to it. Then practice, practice, practice. If I work with one now, I'll just make the image worse!

Flash is an art unto itself. One of these days I'll get the proper gear, buckle down and learn the numerous techniques related to it. Then practice, practice, practice. If I work with one now, I'll just make the image worse!
All you need is a flash to get started

Most reactions

New Topics

Back